What would cause chicks to hatch out too soon?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by keeperofthehearth, Apr 16, 2009.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

They were under a broody. They started hatching too early, too much egg sack left etc. We lost at least 4 that way. Then one good hatchling. One who didn't quite make it out of it's shell and died w/membrane surrounding it's head. I found another peep today that didn't make it but was completely out of its shell. There are three precious peeps and 3 eggs not pipped yet. This has been such a sad hatch. [​IMG] The weather suddenly turned for the worse & it got downright cold the last two days. I've got a heat lamp on my broody & chicks now & the next few days are suppose to be warmer. Could the turn in the weather have affected the hatch that badly or could it be some other contributing factor? I sure hope the last three eggs hatch out well.

2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] Sorry about your chickies [​IMG] It's really hard when they don't make it.

I think it was most likely the change in weather.

[​IMG] Again sorry~ It's so hard to see them die.

3. adriennehearts

adriennehearts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    are you sure your broodyhen didint peck at it or stepped on it?

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Too hot of a temperature.

5. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    when i saw this in the recent posts, i instantly thought, oh the temp in the bator was too high. but then i read it, and i truly have no idea. i'm so sorry you lost them. [​IMG]
    hopefully someone on here will know. what is the hens first hatch herself? i'm not sure if that will help anything, but it might. again, i'm sorry you lost them. i hope the others make it. keep us updated.

6. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Sorry for your lose. It is heartbreaking when the little ones don't make it.
    I would not have put a heat lamp on the hen. She can stay warm enough and keep her eggs warm enough without any extra heat. Maybe she became uncomfortable and left the nest or got restless and moved around too much. Eggs can hatch early if the temp is a little too high. Sometimes we can do too much to help. Chickens have been hatching their eggs for MANY years without our help.

7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    To much heat. I have had broody hens hatch eggs all winter in the coop with only a 60 watt bulb in a 12 x 12 foot coop. Last winter I had one hen hatch some eggs outside in the snow. What most likely happened was the hen left the nest to many times and broke the eggs.

8. keeperofthehearth

Well, I didn't have the heat lamp on her figuring as most of you did that she would be warm enough. It was after the 3rd loss I thought maybe it was just too chilly and put the light on her. She settled right down and we got three live chicks but again lost two others. I think part of the problem is I have too many broodies at once. They are taking up all the favorite nesting boxes and the other girls are giving them grief over it. [​IMG] NOT that there isn't plenty of nest boxes in the main coop but they like the big plastic bins in the shed. This particular broody is sweet tempered, for a broody, and does get pushed around more so now I'm thinking their may have been a bit of a tussle in there. She's more secure w/some temp. walls keeping the others away fm her now. I'll turn the lamps off once the temp warms up a bit this a.m.
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will wait next time around till May before I let anyone sit. [​IMG]

9. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    If there were other chickens in with the broody, and your broody is not at the top of the pecking order, the other hens will kill the baby chicks. She will and the chicks will have a much better chance now that they are separated. I learned this the hard way too. Best of luck with the little ones.

10. keeperofthehearth

I have to be out of town for about 6 hrs. today. Still only 3 peeps on broody one but she is still sittin on 3 eggs & her hatched peeps are very robust and cute as can be. [​IMG] Broody two has at least one hatched and dry but SHE is a very tempermental broody and I'll wait and check her tonight. [​IMG] for a good hatch & her 7 remaining eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by