What would cause this? (No rooster)Help!

Nancie

Chirping
Apr 29, 2020
Please help!
I noticed a bare spot on this chicken before, and thought maybe she was getting picked on or mounted by another hen. I sprayed it purple to help her keep from getting picked on once I could see the bare skin. But it has gotten much worse… a bigger bare spot and many more feathers missing, even a couple bare spots showing up on her wings now. Now one more hen (another brown) is getting the same bare spot at the back. The other 7 are fine. What would cause this and what should I do?
I’m fairly new to chickens snd would really appreciate the help!
Thx, nancie

Attachments

• FB44FD30-5EF4-4D95-97F8-2221F9E2BC49.jpeg
    FB44FD30-5EF4-4D95-97F8-2221F9E2BC49.jpeg
    484.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 9110A542-15B6-4F23-B4EE-6A64A4567A7C.jpeg
    9110A542-15B6-4F23-B4EE-6A64A4567A7C.jpeg
    608.9 KB · Views: 12
Please help!
I noticed a bare spot on this chicken before, and thought maybe she was getting picked on or mounted by another hen. I sprayed it purple to help her keep from getting picked on once I could see the bare skin. But it has gotten much worse… a bigger bare spot and many more feathers missing, even a couple bare spots showing up on her wings now. Now one more hen (another brown) is getting the same bare spot at the back. The other 7 are fine. What would cause this and what should I do?
I’m fairly new to chickens snd would really appreciate the help!
Thx, nancie
Hi I don't know what would cause it but something that you could do is put a chicken cape on their backs! We have had this problem before with one of our hens mounting another hen. We ended up getting a chicken cape which you can get from Etsy and then she ended up growing the feathers back! Your hen will either grow them back when she molts or before that! :)

Right, no rooster. I’ll look up the chicken Cape. Thanks!
Do you think this could be mites? And how would I know?
I'm not sure! It kinda looks like feather plucking to me too. I have never had experience with mites before and hope I don't. How much space do you have? I read somewhere that you can use a paper towel and wipe your perch with it at night. Not sure if that works I've just seen it. And you can do a full body inspection. 😉

Back
Top Bottom