what would disturb them during roosting ?

bokboklady

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
i am always amazed at how chickens go into a sort of hynotised state when settling down for the night, and i was wondering what if anything would disturb their slumber, for instance a loud thunder storm, or perhaps a mouse or rat running into the coop, or even me going in the coop with a flash light, would they carry on sleeping or would they get stressed and flap about ?, has anyone watched their birds on a CCTV during the night ?, and also can they actually see in the dark ?, would be interested in others comments, thanks in advance

Chickens have next to nothing for night vision. I try to use as little light as possible to see by if I have to go into the coop at night; usually a penlight. I've noticed that when the doorlatch clicks, my roo will usually make a warning sound, but that's about it.
If I use a brighter light, say a large flashlight, about half of the hens jump down and go to eating and drinking.

When I go into the coop at night w/ a tiny flash light, the girls fuss a little but do not move around very much. EVEN the wild girls don't run a way or move much when I go in w/ this tiny flashlight..On times we have pulled up to the coop w/ the pick up and shown the head lights in to the coop, they got off the roost and came out into the run and started to mill around..like 'hey, it's already morning'! I am sure if a predator went in there they would be 'sitting ducks'.. easy pickins'!

Back
Top Bottom