What would happen if you let your ducks go out in the wild?

The average lifespan of a wild duck is only 2 years. How long do you think a domestic duck would last in the wild?

Taken care of like they are supposed to be, they will live 7-10 years and beyond. (Someone on BYC reported knowing a Pekin that lived to be 19.)

Last edited:
Quote:
That is not accurate.
smile.png
A wild duck can live for up to 20 yrs!

I grew up on the river and I know one particular drake that lived for 8 years before we didn't see him anymore.

-----eta---- with banding wild ducks we are able to keep track of their lifespans. I want to say that there was a wild drake that lived for almost 30 yrs once! I would have to look it up for sure though but I think I am right about that -

Last edited:
From National Geographic
Average lifespan in the wild: 5 to 10 years

Another source
Between 32% and 45% of newborns die their first year. Very few live longer than five years and one study estimated the average lifespan at one-and-half years (Palmer 1976a). Two of the oldest mallards lived 23 years, 5 months (Clapp et al 1982) and 29 years, 1 month (Kennard 1975), respectively.
http://home.sou.edu/~rible/wildlife/mallard.html

Even a wild duck has trouble making it in the wild.

Those are pretty old stats....I'm wondering if things have changed with the advent of more strict EPA laws, less hunting than back in the day, and more attention to maintaining the wetlands?

I would guess a lot of it has to do where they live. Here in the southwest I don't know if they live that long because it gets so hot and the water holes out in the desert have a lot of predators around them.

ANd here in the North East..the winter would do them off...they'd never find enough food..

Just because feral cat colonies exists doesn't mean it is a good idea to release a cat in to the wild either. Same difference.

Domestic ducks released in to the wild can displace or breed with native populations and disrupt ecosystems.

Last edited:
Quote:
Plus its just mean! IMO... They are not the same as a wild duck...they cant fly as well..they dont have the wild instincts that wild ducks have.. And yeah..Feral cats may survive..but do they survive well? no..not at all...they are usually sick and skinny, starving and diseased...

Back
Top Bottom