What would happen if....?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TinyChickenLady, Oct 24, 2012.

1. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

My serama rooster has been putting the moves on one of my silkie hens.

I know the baby wouldn't be a "silkied serama" so what would it be? A micro silkie? A mutt? Something else?

How safe would it be to even have a micro silkie?

Any help, suggestions or PICTURES?

Anyone? Beuller?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can call it whatever you want to call it, mutt, cross, Penelope, whatever. There is no chicken police that will come around and throw you in jail no matter what you call it. But it will not be pure.

I know of absolutely no danger associated with that cross.

The way I understand it, the gene that gives them the Silkie feathers is a recessive gene. That means the chick from that cross will not have the Silkie feathers. You'd have to cross that chick back to something that has the Silkie gene to have a chance of making a Silkie.

I'm not going to try to guess what color or pattern you'd get. It's not just that I don't know what color your Silkie hen is. Silkie's are often of mixed breeding, which means who knows what dominant and recessive genes are hiding in their make-up. Even if I knew the color of yours I would not be confident the genetics would be there to be able to tell what color or pattern it would have.

3. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Well the silkie has been breeding true blacks. That, I'm sure of :)
    I just wasn't sure if there was an official name or "cross breed" already applied to it.

I'm still learning serama colors so all I can tell you about him for now is that he has a white head, dark body and green tail LoL

But thanks for all your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by