What would kill chickens

Sorry to hear about your loss! A hawk got one of ours and left it lying in the run (we saw the hawk sitting on the fence looking in the run). It had a big gash around it's thighs/underneath, but not much blood loss (we think the impact must have killed it). If you see hawks I would definately put up a strong net/web, as it is an easy meal once they know where your chickens are. Hope you find out what it is!

WELCOME TO BYC! Sorry about your chickens, I. HATE. PESTS.
D.gif

I am new to raising chickens but a friend of mine has had them for years. In his experience when their back end is ate out it is a raccoon. A weasel tends to leave the meat alone only drinking the blood. I have set a live trap about 30 feet from my coop baited with marshmallows and in less than a week had my first raccoon. Hope that helps!

No more of my chickens, hopefully it was just the opossum. Another question, last night something pulled a 7 week old chicken of my sisters out of a coop . It was a good size coop with a nesting box in it, only 2 chickens in it. It was made with chicken wire. Something had stretched the wire and she said blood and feathers everywhere. Some of the other chickens feathers were gone but it is ok. Wonder what that could be?.

i cought a fisher .so i did what i do to keep deer out of my garden i spray coyote pee around that will keep ground predators away

Where do you get coyote pee?? we do have coyotes around and goats and a donkey, it wouldnt attract coyotes, would it? another chicken gone today, well dead,
same thing

i get it form hunting stores . no it does not attract them . coyote have there own areas they live in they will not not go in someone area . they do have female pee when they are in heat do not get that . that will attract them . i live in Maine we have coyote to i had one come out of the woods down my driveway every three days and go up the road . this went on for three years . then the deer started to get in my garden then i started using the coyote pee have not seen him or the deer again . hope it works for you . please let me know .

Definitely going to try to find some, another dead chicken but we did catch a raccoon in trap, i will let you know

Back
Top Bottom