What would make a chick throw-up??? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JaciesCoop, Sep 11, 2009.

1. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    I have 4 orphan chicks that are about a month old (not sure when they were actually hatched) and they have been doing great but today one of them is very inactive and is gasping up vomit. A yellow liquid. Can't anyone tell me what would cause this.

Jacie

2. JaciesCoop

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Can anyone give me some ideas??

3. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    I do hope you find out soon. It's so scary when things out of the norm happen [​IMG]

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    This doesn't really sound like what you're having, but sometimes when I am carrying a chicken around, if I let their crop rest against my forearm, and it's full, liquid will leak out. It is gross and smelly!

Could it have gotten squished somehow? Or overheated?

Hope you find out what it is! Maybe you should separate it just in case?

Shelly

5. JaciesCoop

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Quote:It seems to have slowed down. She is resting in the brooder and they rest are outside in their little run.

Will this pass?

6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Without knowing what is wrong, I can't say. If she is overheated, try some Gatorade or electrolytes (Pedialyte) instead of water. I would still keep her separated until she either gets better or dies. [​IMG] Is she able to walk at all? Maybe they got cold and piled on top of her??

Shelly

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  7. Nif

Nif Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I was treating my hen last night for lice and had her up-side-down and she leaked out her mouth and almost choked...I felt so bad, but she was ok.
    Either her crop is really full, or she has sour crop. I know there is a remedy for it on this forum because I have read it, but just search for "sour crop" and you should find some remedies to help her. You might also want to search "impacted crop"
    Good luck.

8. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Have you given them anything yellow to eat lately? Do they have chick grit? It's very important.

9. StarLIteStarBrite

StarLIteStarBrite New Egg

Aug 17, 2009
    MIDWEST
    My experince with chicken vomitting is two things:
    dehydration and some sort of poisoning...Give electrolytes and vitamins in their water and they should be fine, if they don't should any signs of getting better, then I don't know what else to say!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by