what would the best CHICKEN breed be to protect m flock?

djmooney

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
my chicken are outside allot and they have know body to protect them. what would be the best breed of rooster to get to fight off the cats. we lost 1 to cats already.

None you will occasionally hear of a rooster that fights off a cat/hawk/Rotwieller etc... BUT 9 out of 10 times that rooster becomes the next prey. A brahma/Cochin may be big enough that a cat will look elsewhere, but as far as actually fighting off preditors, get a dog or a gun.

i have a dog and several guns but i also have school. my dog is in a cage and my guns cant do anything when know body is there to shoot them. That is why i said breed of CHICKEN.

Jersey Giant would be a nice large deterrent. I know some RIR roosters that are big and aggressive flock protectors. Most any roo will take the sacrifice for your girls I would suggest finding a free roo on Craigslist (I've seen a lot in my area lately) and see how that works out.

I have an Egyptian Fayoumis hen. I saw her chasing a cat out of the yard once. They're small but fiesty, and act more like a wild animal than like a domestic. Their roosters would probably be pretty snarly. But they're small.

Personally, I only let the hens out of the run when I'm going to be in the yard, in the shop, in the trailer/office, or have the kitchen window open so I can hear any distress calls.

Back
Top Bottom