What would this turkey be?

toto65

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Holland, VT
I need some input from all the turkey genetics people out there. I have hatched two poults so far this year, both eggs came from my Royal Palm hen. Even thought I was REALLY hoping that she would be interested in the RP Tom she decided that she wanted to mate with my black tom who's parents were both Blue Slates. Both poults are mainly black with white face and chest and they have black legs, even the black tom does not have black legs. What would I call them other than mutts????
idunno.gif

You crossed a black with a royal palm.
Since the black came from Blue Slates, the genpotype is almost certainly a true black, BB, which means it has two genes that are for black-based body color. Bronze-base (b) and black-winged bromze base (b1) are both recessive to Black. It is possible that your slates were not pure and may have had a recessive base color gene, but is unlikely so I will ignore that for now.

Royal Palms are black-winged bronze base, with double recessive palm genes and double recessive Narragansett genes..b1b1cgcgngng, where cg is a palm gene and ng is a naragansett gene.

There are lots of color genes, but to fully describe the black with the genes we are concerned about would look like BBCCNgNg, where the C is a dominant "not white" gene, and the Ng is domoninant "not Narragansett"

When you cross the two, you will get Bb1CcgNgng. The cross will have a dominant black gene paired with a recessive black-winged gene, a dominant "not white" paired with a palm gene, and a dominant not Narri gene paired with a recessive Narri gene.

The dominant genes will determine most of the coloring, and the dominant genes say black. In some birds, the recessive genes can show through, and I don't know if you will see anything in this case. If you breed these birds to each other or royal palms, you may get a variety of colors, including Royal Palm, Black-winged Narragansetts, and sweetgrass.

Your Black Spanish tom is a Black Spanish regardless if the parents carried a blue dilute gene. He does not carry any dilute gene or he would be blue. Black based birds are dominate over bronze and blackwing bronze in that order.

The Royal Palm Hens is Blackkwing Bronze, Gray, and Narraganzett.

Your poults will look like a Black Spanish. If they are split for blackwing bronze from the Royal Palm Mom, they might have a few bronze feathers in the tail or even some white feathers leaking through.

If you breed Blue Slate with Royal Palm, you get slate, & Black mottled chicks. Black Mottled 2nd generation, bred with Palm, will throw off MORE Black Mottled. That description of your chicks describes Black Mottled,
thumbsup.gif

The chicks should not be what I call Black Mottled but may leak a few white feathers in 25% of her offspring. Narragansett (from the palm hen) is a sex-linked gene. A hen will only carry one Narragansett gene that she passes to 50% of her male offspring.

Thanks for all the input.
thumbsup.gif
Does anyone know if there is chart or table out there that will answer questions like this? I have such a mixed up flock right now that I have an almost staggering number of possible matings. 1 RP tom, 1 Blus Slate tom, 1 Burbon Red tom, 1 Black Tom and 3 Blue Slate hens, 1 RP hen, 1 Naragansette hen and 1 BBW hen. Looks like I could have a really mixed up flock after this years hatchings.
barnie.gif
The BS, BR and Black were all given to me as adult birds and I kept them all to see which I liked the best plus they put me a year ahead in my flock.

Back
Top Bottom