Alixzandrah

Songster
Jul 17, 2021
I might have to rehome all of my chickens. Very hard to talk about. I’ve spent a lot of time money and effort on my babies. I’ve never had to rehome birds but was curious what I could get for them. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I have 5 rough looking RIR two years old laying.

I have another coop with an olive egger that looks like a black Americauna, a light brama pullet, light brama roo, 2 silver laced Wyandotte pullets, one hatchery quality SLW roo. They’re born end of February.

In my large coop I have quite the mixture and some expensive birds.
I have 10 show quality silkies and show girls various colors roughly 21 weeks, I have 3 gold laced Wyandotte pullets roughly a couple months, two welbar legbar olive egger pullet roughly couple months, I have a black mottled orpington pullet, chocolate mottled orpington pullet, lavender splash orpington pullet all roughly couple months old, two cochin bantams roughly couple months old,

I have a grey Sumatra, a splash Sumatra, two ayam cemanis all from certified high quality breeders. Maybe 2-3 months?

I have 2 rare cream Brabanters that are born may 22nd.

I have a few others that are younger I’m not worried about but the ones that are closer to laying or the more rare birds I know what I paid I don’t know if I could get that back or more as I’ve been feeding them etc

I might have to rehome all of my chickens. Very hard to talk about. I’ve spent a lot of time money and effort on my babies. I’ve never had to rehome birds but was curious what I could get for them. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I have 5 rough looking RIR two years old laying.

I have another coop with an olive egger that looks like a black Americauna, a light brama pullet, light brama roo, 2 silver laced Wyandotte pullets, one hatchery quality SLW roo. They’re born end of February.

In my large coop I have quite the mixture and some expensive birds.
I have 10 show quality silkies and show girls various colors roughly 21 weeks, I have 3 gold laced Wyandotte pullets roughly a couple months, two welbar legbar olive egger pullet roughly couple months, I have a black mottled orpington pullet, chocolate mottled orpington pullet, lavender splash orpington pullet all roughly couple months old, two cochin bantams roughly couple months old,

I have a grey Sumatra, a splash Sumatra, two ayam cemanis all from certified high quality breeders. Maybe 2-3 months?

I have 2 rare cream Brabanters that are born may 22nd.

I have a few others that are younger I’m not worried about but the ones that are closer to laying or the more rare birds I know what I paid I don’t know if I could get that back or more as I’ve been feeding them etc
Sorry you may have to rehome your chickens. That's a lot of chickens to rehome! For roosters you may want to charge nothing, but be aware that someone that will take your roosters may just cull them. For laying hens I would say $30 each. For pullets $15 each. Many people will want your hens and pullets!

Best option would be to look at wherever people advertise chickens for sale and get an idea of what sort of prices they're asking. Here that is in Facebook groups.
In general you will lose money overall most likely. It depends on the sort of prices birds go for in your region. Any bird over 18 months you'll probably have to give away. The younger birds will hopefully bring in some money.
I sell pullets between 10-14 weeks old for $30 purebred or $25 crossbred. But when I'm trying to move on older birds I give the old birds away and sweeten the deal with discounted pullets. The prices I get however may have no bearing on the prices your area will deem acceptable.
By the time my birds reach laying there is no way I would be able to make back what I have spent on raising them to that point.

I'd definitely keep the price on the low end for a two year old hen. They're slowing down and you don't want to upset someone...I've known people that will sell old hens for good money and say they're laying. Very dirty. Those people deserve whatever comes their way...

Prices vary by region and taking the time to sell them is something to consider. Not all birds will sell fast.

Another option is to cull the birds that no one wants and add it to your freezer.

I don't bother trying to get back what I paid. It's almost impossible.

I look for 4H kids that want birds
Where are you located? I actually may be interested in some of them. I have 10 acres and have 7 chickens currently. I am looking to possibly get more. What state or town are you located in, so I can figure out if it would be logistically possible to do. My birds are pets to me and friendly.

Sorry you may have to rehome your chickens. That's a lot of chickens to rehome! For roosters you may want to charge nothing, but be aware that someone that will take your roosters may just cull them. For laying hens I would say $30 each. For pullets $15 each. Many people will want your hens and
I agree with the prices these people say, I’m sorry you are getting rid of them!

cream brabanters are my dream chicken

Where are you located? I actually may be interested in some of them. I have 10 acres and have 7 chickens currently. I am looking to possibly get more. What state or town are you located in, so I can figure out if it would be logistically possible to do. My birds are pets to me and friendly.
Virginia Beach

Back
Top Bottom