What would you do? (about selling chickens)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rainstorm, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Awhile back I was selling 6 geese couple of ducks and guineas and couple of chickens, a guy his son and along when the dads dad came to take a look at everything, the kid couldnt have been more then 10 and he very well didnt seem like he even wanted to be here, the dad had said he was getting them for his son to care for, even kept annoying the kid asking him what ones he liked and stuff (very obvious the kid didnt want anything to do with it) the dad finally asked me if i would take lower if he took em all, stupidely i agreed, this was on a wed, the next friday night I saw ALL my animals at our animal auction along with many more on the same lot. He had msged me again after thast telling how good they were doing and his son loved em and yada yada yada and asked me to let him know when i had more for sale, I replied and told him I know where my animals went and not to bother replying to anymore of my adds.

this was about 6 months ago

Now. I have put up 22 bantams for sale. $5 each or all of them for $100. I got a email from someone who has the same lastname as the other guy but the first name in the email was changed to "Margarita" I KNOW its him (did some phone number snooping)

I live wayy out in middle of nowhere, So should I tell him to pi$$ off and wait for another buyer? or play along and see if hes dumb enough to show up here again and see if he wants to pay the price im askin or tell him to pi$$ off when he askes me to go lower cuz its a LONG drive back out empty handed cuz trust me im not going down a penny for him and if he doesnt get that its a long drive down here and its a long drive back out empty handed

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

H E Double Hockey Sticks NO. I wouldnt sell to anyone who I thought was even remotely affiliated with that jerk!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Why would you allow someone to visit your home who lies? I might sell them to him, but meet in a public area, and I wouldn't go down in price for him (unless you think what he offers is fair).

4. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    well if you get all you want out of them it likely they will get a good home from local auction mine have(1s i bought anyway lol) or you could just cut the middle man out and go to the auction youreself

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Why lose a sale? Who cares if he sold them at auction... they were his.
    Now.. i would NOT take a lower price for them this time though...
    If you want $5 each.. then DONT take any less than $5 each for them.
    Let him drive over and use his gas,.. and pay the price YOU want. Dont let him talk you down.. its simple.
    Then if he sells them at the auction again.. who cares because you got the price that you wanted for them.
    No loss on your part....

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I am with the once they are bought I don't care what happens to them crowd. If you are concerned about where they go have them fill out adoption papers and make the price high. If you are trying to get rid of a few birds and make a buck...figure out what you want per bird and stick to it. Then as redhen said who cares

7. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    What upset you about the birds you sold to him before ending up at auction? The fact that they were at the auction at all or just because he lied to you? That would make the biggest difference in how you handle it going forward.

If you don't mind them going to auction then it is what it is. I don't see the big deal. Yes he lied, yes it sucks. It happens. Lots of dealers lie because they can't get birds otherwise. I don't approve of it, but I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over it either. I'm one of those people that would have looked at him when he was out the first time and said look, I can see your son's not interested in the birds. If you're taking them to deal them just say so. My bottom line is xyz, if you want them for that, fine.

Personally, I wouldn't reply to him now though. Not because he lied or because he's taking them to auction -- I wouldn't reply this time on the principle because you already told him no once. If you sell to him now it makes you look wishy washy and unable to stick by your word. I don't play that game. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. [​IMG]

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for your interest but we've already found a wonderful, loving, honest home for all the birds.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Bob

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In the end, they're your birds. You do what you want to do. You are not obligated to sell to anyone if you don't want to do so and the reason is yours alone.

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Whats that sign you see in stores?

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone of any reason at any time."
    And the one that says:
    "Prices are subject to change at any time in reference to customer attitude."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by