What would you do? Lone Sleeper

I have 2 small coops in a covered run with 6 chickens. The two Rhode Island reds always roosted together and the others sleep in the bigger of the two coops. Now one of the reds decided she wants to roost with everyone else. I have moved her back at night with the other red but she keeps goin in with the group. The loner is bottom of the pecking order. I just feel bad for her being alone and no other chicken to warm up to. Is this normal?
I don't have chickens but I have ducks. I have one that is slighted when it comes to treats and stays by herself most of the time. She seems fine though being like that so I don't worry about her. I do understand how you feel though. Mine always gets the last of everything and sometimes gets a peck from one of the others. She is the same color and size so I don't know why that happens to her but she is healthy and seems to be alright so I don't worry about her, I just feel sorry for her. Don't know if this helps or not, I just wanted to let you know that it happens with other flock animals too.

I have 2 small coops in a covered run with 6 chickens. The two Rhode Island reds always roosted together and the others sleep in the bigger of the two coops. Now one of the reds decided she wants to roost with everyone else. I have moved her back at night with the other red but she keeps goin in with the group. The loner is bottom of the pecking order. I just feel bad for her being alone and no other chicken to warm up to. Is this normal?
It’s normal. Chickens kind of do what they want! I as well have 2 coops under one run. NOW my loaner girl who still sleeps in the same spot has been joined by 3 other girls. Not right next to her but they are in areas around her 🤣 So now I have a different loaner girl who sleeps in the newer coop alone now! My run is very safe and covered so I’ve given up on moving them around.. they all choose their spots and I assume that makes them happy! As long as your girl spends time with her flock outside of night hours she will be fine 🐓 If you look carefully you can see 4 girls in this pic.. the left coop has my girl roosting and one on the door… 2 on roof of coop 🤣 one other girl is inside the coop on the right.

Attachments

• E1161748-B155-4A9A-B57B-58BCB5B5F8C6.jpeg
    E1161748-B155-4A9A-B57B-58BCB5B5F8C6.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 7
I have 2 coops that are attached. I have a few hens who choose to roost alone even in winter. Never even thought about moving them or coaxing to roost with others.

As long as she is secure and out of harms way, why bother her? Some animals just have more of a seculsive demeaner. She might like her space and peace while roosting. 🤷‍♀️
Agreed. I let my girls choose their spots nightly… they seem very happy I shared a pic on reply above of their silly sleep spots 🤣

Thanks for all the replies! and pics!! Made me feel better😊 I didn’t know I would care about my chickens so much😂😂 It’s my first year raising backyard chickens. We had chickens when I was a kid, but that was eons ago🙂

Back
Top Bottom