What would you do with a lone chicken this winter?

lengel

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
MA
I have an Aracauna who is very dominant. She was given to us by a neighbor whose other hens were killed. This hen, LC (Lone Chicken), free-ranged for two years before another neighbor complained. During that time, she befriended our guinea hen, Mo, also the last of her group. We penned them together and they did great but we were already in the process of raising a companion for Mo who turned out to be a male (Curly). All three are penned together now but Mo and Curly are excluding LC and now I'm sure that it's going to get ugly.

So what do I do with this dominant, somewhat anti-social Aracauna this winter? Oh, and she eats her own eggs - or else Mo and Curly eat them but I'm pretty sure it's LC doing the deed.

DH will have completed five tractors in the next month. All will be occupied as follows:

Six geriatric "rescued" RIRs who had been pecked within an inch of their lives but have recovered now.
Five black sex links we raised this last spring and haven't begun laying yet.
The two guineas, Mo and Curly (small tractor).
Four production reds which are on order for delivery in a week.
Six NH reds which are also on order for delivery in a week.

Since the last two groups are chicks, should I put LC in with one of them (when they're six weeks, that is)? The NH reds maybe since the production reds will be smaller? Do you think that the NH reds will hold their own against LC? I hate to leave her alone. What she had with Mo was perfect but we messed that up by introducing Curly so that train has left the station.

Last edited:
Myself, I would not keep an egg eating chicken around. It would find either a nice warm place on the barbeque, or another home. If you are set on keeping her, put her with other hen that might keep her away from their eggs. I have a cochin hen that I have to pick up out of the nest almost every day to get her eggs.

Quote:
Central. Near Leominster in northern Worcester County.

If I got rid of her, I would have to lie to the neighbors. They have seven kids and they were devastated when they had to give her up.

Well thats kinda far anyway
hmm.png
Its amazing how small the state of MA is, but how far everyone on here from MA is from me
roll.png

Quote:
That's OK. I think I have to accommodate the situation for the sake of neighbor relations.

Maybe I should put her in the basement for the winter? I have a huge dog kennel. I could put it near the furnace. Then I'd be certain that she's the egg eater too.

Back
Top Bottom