What would you do with this broody?

Anna-MN

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
Here is my dilemma. I have never had a broody hen before and thought the chances of getting one from hatchery stock would be pretty rare but was willing to accept the challenge if it were to arise. My Australorp has been sitting in the nest box for over a week. She will let me pick her up, but she screeches and the feathers on her neck stand on end. I keep taking the eggs she accumulates from her flock mates at night from her since I do not have a rooster. The next morning I wake up and she has found a different box to sit in that has eggs. I take them away from her and she either finds a different box or she lets someone lay in the box with her. She had a one day break where I though she gave up because I didn't find her in the box a single time the whole day. But the next morning she was back. So here is my issue- should I order eggs and let her hatch out some chicks that I will 100% have to get rid of because I do not have the room------or------wait it out until she gets over it. I am also willing to try other things as well! Any advice is appreciated. I have no idea what to do!

I was wondering the same thing as you, I don't have a broody hen but I was just wondering what would I do if one did go broody. Well we will have to wait and see if we get any answers. :)

I am curious about this issue too!

I have a leghorn wyandotte cross that has been broody for over a month now. She's never hatched out chicks before but I am sort of wondering if I should just let her do it and get it over with as well...just to snap her out of it.

I also have a little silkie that goes broody about twice a year and that is pretty much the only way to snap her out of it too, let her hatch some eggs, but she is a good Momma. Not sure how good my leghorn will be?

I have hens that go broody all the time. I just take eggs away each day as I don't want their chicks. Usually they'll give up, but some of my Cochins are broody all summer and I don't get eggs from them til fall!:) but I do use a broody hen to hatch duck eggs if need be. So just keep taking eggs away and eventually the hen will stop setting.

If you want to let her hatch some out, you have a few choices to get fertile eggs. I ordered some on line, they were expensive and 8 out of 18 eggs were cracked when the box arrived. I found out too late that just by looking on Craigslist there were lots of people in my area that would sell a dozen fertile eggs for $4.00.

Letting her hatch them out could be fun. It takes about 3 weeks but it sure is fun to watch the little ones follow their mama around. If you don't have room, wait until they get big enough and then sell them on Craigslist. Lots of people in the market for chicks.

I read that putting the hen in a wire floored cage and hanging it a foot or two off of the ground will cure a hen of brooding in 2-3 days. Give her food and water in her hanging cage. Ive never had the chance to try it out yet.

Back
Top Bottom