1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What would you do with this? (pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by happyhens, Feb 8, 2009.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    I got this cage for free, it had previously been used for a rabbit. It is 3' wide, 30" long, and 22" tall. It used to have a plywood roof that was taken to use for another project. The sides are made of 2" x 4" wire and the floor is made of 1" x 1/2" wire. I realize that it needs some work before it can be used for chickens, but I would like to eventually be able to use it as a small bantam breeding pen or as a safe place for a broody hen to raise her chicks. So what would you do with it? Sorry about the picture, it was the best one I could get before the camera died.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Itd make a great cage for 2 or 3 bantams.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    It looks a lot like what I use for....well, I call it the big kid brooder, I think I have heard them called a grow out pen. anyway, a place to separate chicks before they are old enough to mix with the flock. It would also make a good isolation pen if you buy new chickens.

4. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    just cover with chicken-wire and add a nice easy-access hinged door up-top!
    Perfect for B3's (Brooding, Breeding and Bantams!)

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    If you can keep it inside a coop/run it would work great as a spot for a broody hen, or a little hospital pen for any sick or injured chooks.

AL

6. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    I would replace the wire, add a top and use it for a brooder. [​IMG]

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Looks like a great broody pen, just add some clear pal - or sunruf on top. and maybe some left over siding on the sides and back, and a wire screened door on the front.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  8. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I think I would use it to seperate a broody.

9. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Thanks for all the input. I still haven't decided for sure what to do with it, but you all have given me some things to consider.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by