What would you do?

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Absolutely! As was said earlier, you will almost certainly later regret it if you choose to not go. Do find out exactly what accomodations will be like, whether the host family (I assume it is a host family, not a dorm) speaks English and all the other details--the more you know the less intimidating it will become. My son is doing a German exchange, and has been looking through questionaires for all the German kids coming here to select his choices for staying with us this spring--then he will go there and stay with that family this summer.

You should GO! My mom was actually forced to go to Japan when she worked for Ford's for a month. She did not want to go but it turned out to be an amazing once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. She got to try lots of new food, and even try on a $50,000 Kimono. You will regret it.
Ashlyn

You don't want to go????? Seriously?????
Trust me, you will regret it when you get older if you don't go. Its a life experience...enjoy the opportunity. They don't come along very often.

You couldn't drag me to China if you gave me an all expense paid vacation... *shudder*

Now... if it was Italy I'd jump on it... love the food, the architecture, the language, and a good portion do speak English simply because in Europe being multi-ligual is totally normal. Sanitation is also a big plus. Good regulations on food, etc. SAFE.

If it was my child, I wouldn't even try to force them into it... (actually I'd prolly try and talk them out of it simply because I'd go crazy worrying about them... but that's me being paranoid, I worried like a fiend when my son went to camp in New Mexico for two weeks.) Your folks are NOT the one who'll be stuck over there totally alone, no support, and you can't just call mom and come home if you have a nightmare. Seems pretty crappy to me that your parents would just ignore all that and even try to push this on you.... have they read about China lately? Even the 'good stuff for export that has to meet snotty US standards" ends up being toxic... why would you want to go there, much less LIVE there for a year?

Sorry, bit of a ramble there... but I agree with you 100% your feelings should be the ones that matter most. If you aren't comfy for whatever reason than DO NOT GO. Stepping back now will be a LOT easier than later. Going with your gut is always the smart route IMHO.

Last edited:
I also agree that it should be up to you. You may regret it later, but if you do, that's a life lesson learned. Every day we make decisions that we may regret later.

As a parent, I have to sometimes consciously refrain from projecting my own desires and goals onto my kids. Just because I think it's a once in a lifetime opportunity doesn't mean my kids will. If one of my kids didn't want to go to China, it would be totally up to them.

OOh! I would LOOOOVE to be in your place Maxx! I think you should go and have a good time! But its up to you kiddo...
hugs.gif

Quote:
No, no no, the problems China has are pretty much like ours and if there is a group of american students there they will never see a peek at anything other than beauty and bustling commerce! Its not a whole year its a summer! I would step over you to go, travel is always good for you. Beijing is a beautiful modern city. And LOTS of people there speak passable english, they have to take it in school. You will regret it if you let fear stop you from taking the best chance you have of broadening your horizons. In this global world we cannot afford to stick in our own backyards and not see the world!

Back
Top Bottom