What would you do?

crazylilchick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Missouri
Ok I ordered 4 khaki campbell ducks 3 assorted chicks. Long story short... Due to shipping delays I have 2 ducks and 1 chick left.
hit.gif
I also have 11 one year old hens.

Can I raise one little chick with ducks?

What will happen when I try to put her with the flock? I was planning on having 3 so not just one would take all the abuse.

Should I give her to a very broody hen who has never had chicks before and see if she will adopt it. There again it is one little chick with a mother but no siblings. I have seperated the broody and let her keep some eggs in preparation of doing that when the 3 arrived. She is ready for her imaginary babies to hatch.

The chick likes being with the ducks and even jumped over a box so she could be with them.

One little chick needs to be with other chicks right??

I would run out and get her a friend at the farm store but they are all straight run and I am not allowed to have roosters. Thats why I went to the trouble of mail ordering.

What do you think? Buy a friend? Reorder? Give to broody?Teach her to be a duck? Can chickens swim?Hmmmmm.
wink.png

i am raising 4 ducks and 40 chicks right now and keep them in different broders the ducks are crazy and would crush the chicks with out trying good luck

I would get her a friend. Go for a sex link type chicken where you can tell the male from the female by the color of the chick. There are Red, Black and Golden stars that you can tell apart that way.

From what I remember as a kid, ducks can be rough and will trample over little chicks at times. I would go for more chicks. Remember if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck; it is a duck...if not, it is a chicken.
big_smile.png
Also, get a refund on the ones you lost.

Back
Top Bottom