What would you get if.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Trophamus, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Trophamus

Trophamus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    I have a silver spangled Appenzeller roo and a silver spangled Appenzeller hen, my friend has a golden spangled Appenzeller roo and a golden spangled Appenzeller hen. What would happen if i bred my roo to her hen, or her roo to my hen what would we get?

thanks [​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Gold roo to Silver hens will give Sexlinks, Pure golden hens and roos that look more silverish but are split for both silver and gold genes.

Silver too on Gold hens will give all pure silver hens and roos the same as the the above cross.

3. Trophamus

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    thanks that helps allot, as each of our chicks are related so we were thinking of swapping roo's [​IMG]

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:With chickens it really doesnt matter a whole lot if they are related for a generation or two, but that would be a good way to get new blood. Switch the pairs and breed them and then you could breed the original roo to the pure colored pullets he produces, that would be breeding father to daughter, but that is how line breeding is done most of the time.

5. Trophamus

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    thats intresting to know, i knew about line breeding but i get slightly paranoid about brother to sister breathing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by