what would you put in a scratch mix?

the-bird-man

Songster
9 Years
Oct 24, 2010
land of the sun
so i have been buying a scratch mix that has corn, milo and oats but about 70% is corn and my girls are not eating the corn so i have decided to make my own mix. so for starts i am thinking BOSS, milo, oats and maybe wheat. so in your opinion what would you add to this mix or take away? thanks for the help
smile.png

okay so i made a mix. its just oats, milo, boss and some peanuts. its a simple mix and is much cheaper than the ready made mix and now i have a metal trash can full of it lol anyone know how long it will last if it is kept in a cool dry place and it is fairly air tight? i am hopeing it will stay good for at least a year
fl.gif

Hi Birdman, I use 12% horse sweetfeed. I use a brand that has oats first on the label. The chickens love it and it's got 12% protein and lots of nutrition.

Either way, making it or using sweetfeed, I would not keep more than 2 months worth. Oats can go rancid pretty quick.

Last edited:
I make my own, and I mix Ultra Kibble in and it's their sole feed. You could always just make it up and use it for scratch. I have them crimp the corn, peas and peanuts at the feed mill. It's well loved by my flocks!!

14596_img_20110323_134110.jpg

The red color is the UltraKibble.

14596_feedrecipecropped111111.jpg

I've updated the recipe.

Last edited:
I use a all "grain" pigeon feed as a "scratch" mix.

Crude Protein, not less than 17.00%
Crude Fat, not less than 2.00%
Crude Fiber, not more than 6.00%
Moisture, not more than 12.00%

INGREDIENTS
Canadian Peas, Popcorn, Austrian Peas, Wheat, Oat Groats, Milo, Red Millet, Maple Peas

To the above mix I add BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seed), Hemp Seed, Rice, Linseed (Flax) and some molasses to "bind" it together.

Chris

I mix my own scratch grains for much the same reason you do. My birds wasted A LOT of the cracked corn. It goes off fast and loses palatability I think.

My basic mix is two parts whole corn, one part feed wheat, one part whole oats, and one half part of alfalfa pellets. I feed it free choice along with their complete ration which runs 20% protein. They self select a diet of about 60% grains to 40% complete ration. In the winter when it's colder it'll be closer to 65% grains and 35% complete ration.

Quote:
In general, whole grains go bad far less quickly than processed feed. I have found mine is fine several months out, but don't know the answer...I've never sat on it more than 3 months, and that was by accident. I make it by the half-ton...

thanks again. i feed 20% feed also so that way i can give them more treats and not have their protein intake drop too much. i was thinking it would last longer because around here people keep grains for 20+ years. i could live with it if it last 3 months because i am still saving money by mixing it on my own
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom