Whats a fair price to ask for .......

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sparkles2307, May 12, 2010.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

If I decide to downsize, I am looking to get rid of 8-10 birds. I know the Amish around here ask for $7-8 per adult laying hen (I dont know what breed they are, but they are black...to me they look like a black RIR). Mine are 1 year old, spoiled, healthy, laying huge eggs almost every day... It constricts my airway to think about getting rid of any, but I have to make room for the next generation thats growing up in the brooding pen, and, it would be a relief to not have SO many eggs to get rid of every week! So, whats a good price? My breeds are: GLW, Aussie, SS, Wellies, and RIR. I dont know if breed affects value?

2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Depends on a lot of factors.

Mostly, what else is available locally. For example, we sell layers for $25 to $30 because we live right in the city and have a huge lot so are allowed more chickens. If we go outside the city a bit, say 30 minutes, the same layers are available for $10 - $15.

If there are people selling layers near you for <$10, you may not be able to charge much more than that and get them to sell.

The only caveat is that if they are particularly rare, for showing, for pets, anything other than the standard egg layers, they might command a higher price. If you feel like shipping, then you could put an auction on a web site and perhaps get a little more out of them.

Short little story, we had 2 black sumatras and one turned out to be a boy. We ended up eating him and he was very scrawny and so not much meat even on him. He was very pretty and we were sorry to see him go, but the neighbors were firm about his crowing. We found later that someone was selling almost the same exact bird on craigslist locally for ~$80. I contacted the poster and in fact someone did buy their roo. Big mistake for us!! So, it does pay to do a little research (craigslist, eggbid, ebay, etc).

GL!

3. Straubby

Straubby Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    new hampshire,ohio
    i bought my first five leghorn layers for $4 a piece but i'm starting to think i ws taken for a ride as its been 2 weeks and no eggs.but i picked up 3 more layers last weekend for $3.50 each at a local auction i think 1 is a barred rock and 1 is a RIR but i'm not sure about that one or the third one.I live in a rural ohio area so chickens are fairly common so it may not be a good comparison depending where you live.

4. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    I think its $20-30 per hen now if you buy them as hens.

5. Brick243

Brick243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southeast Oklahoma
    Young laying hens are going for 12 to 14 dollars here.

6. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

OK wow yeah the Amish get $7 per bird here, and they usualy charge MORE than the average person.... I was going to go with $7. I can't imagine paying $20 for a chicken! Its a big world out there, I think I like living in Po-Dunk! Thanks for the input everyone!

7. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    A couple months ago I bought 2 layers for $15 each. One was a RIR the other a Cochin cross. I was GIVEN 10 Black Australorp mixes. I bought 11White leghorn and 3 Gold sexlink for $8 each and I bought 2 gold sexlinks for $7 each and was given an EE from the same guy as a gift to my son. Around here is is $6-$15 usually. I know the hatchery a few hours away will be selling off their breeder/layers for $6 at the end of the month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by