whats a good starter incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by abhaya, Nov 28, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    My 6 year old wants to hatch some eggs. I am thinking about an incubator for christmas. What is a good simple small inexpensive incubator. Hand turning is fine. I live on a small farm and do NOT want more than a dozen large breed chickens and a couple turkeys but I would like to be able to hatch both chicken and turkey eggs. Right now I use the silkiebator for my hatching but not sure how she will do with turkey eggs. If anyone has a used bator for sale that would work too. I have looked on ebay but I dont really know what I am looking for. [​IMG] also if anyone has one for sale they out grew I might be interested.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
  3. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Nonononononono,do not use that incubator!First of all it can only hatch about 2 chicken eggs,second its heated by a freakin light bulb,third if the temp in your room changes so does the 'bator.Its an overall cheap bad unreliable incubator.If your looking for some quaility and dont mind turning I suggest you look up the brinsea mini eco incubator.I usually get anywere from 50% hatches to 100% hatches with it.Its reliable, doesnt have a bad price and you can look at all the action of them hatching.

4. woogie g3

woogie g3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    for my first bator i just got last year...and is simple to work but yet reliable is the little giant or havo-bator incubator . i bought mine new for only $40.00 and the egg turner was another 40.

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Brinsea Eco ! Super easy and fun (and not too expensive)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by