What's been hanging around my coop?

gottsegnet

Songster
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Nebraska
Found these tracks in the snow near the coop. Our first physical evidence of nighttime visitors. He seems to be just passing through, since he just went along one fence and then on toward the hedge at the property line. But if he's a predator, I'm sure he'll be back. Any ideas what he is?

tracks.jpg

To me , it looks like a skunk. The two in the front have more of a round shape and the back are more oval .

I'm starting to think squirrel. I'm not absolutely positive it went by at night. My chickens aren't that interested in leaving their comfy coop until it starts to warm up, so I haven't been in that big of a hurry to get down there in the morning.

Anyway, squirrels seem to run with the front feet together like this guy. Our old pet ferret did that, so I thought weasel initially. But while it went right by the coop, it didn't hang around or go through the fence which is just chain link.

Size reference: that partial track in the bottom right is of our dog, a lab mix. His tracks are a little larger than a coyote's.

Back
Top Bottom