What's best? Opinions needed!

olijo123

Songster
8 Years
Jun 10, 2013
WV
I've had poultry for roughly 11 years now. I've had a consistent feeding schedule for a long time, which consists of a layer feed mixed with scratch grains. In the winter I feed Purina Flock Raiser because of the extra protein (20%) and also because I have a mixed flock of chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, and turkeys. In the spring and summer, I switch back to Purina Layena (16%) protein. My birds have done well for years like this, and have lived long lives. I have always mixed these feeds with scratch grains, but now I'm questioning it.

My question is--Would it be better for my birds if I cut out the scratch entirely and fed just the Purina? Or should I continue feeding scratch mixed in? Also, would they eat less food if I cut out the scratch? I guess I'm wondering if my money would go further and I wouldn't have to buy feed as often if they were fed only my egg layer or flock feed. I am by no means trying to skimp out on their diet, I would just like to know if they would consume less if the scratch doesn't fill them up very well. TIA!!

I doubt know if they would consume less, but it would improve their diet in general. Scratch is a treat, and by cutting your feed with it, it's diminishing their nutrients.

With a mixed flock, have you considered using "all flock" feed?

I've had poultry for roughly 11 years now. I've had a consistent feeding schedule for a long time, which consists of a layer feed mixed with scratch grains. In the winter I feed Purina Flock Raiser because of the extra protein (20%) and also because I have a mixed flock of chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, and turkeys. In the spring and summer, I switch back to Purina Layena (16%) protein. My birds have done well for years like this, and have lived long lives. I have always mixed these feeds with scratch grains, but now I'm questioning it.

My question is--Would it be better for my birds if I cut out the scratch entirely and fed just the Purina? Or should I continue feeding scratch mixed in? Also, would they eat less food if I cut out the scratch? I guess I'm wondering if my money would go further and I wouldn't have to buy feed as often if they were fed only my egg layer or flock feed. I am by no means trying to skimp out on their diet, I would just like to know if they would consume less if the scratch doesn't fill them up very well. TIA!!
Personally I wouldn’t mix scratch with the feed unless I was trying to reduce the protein %. I do however feed a layer feed mixed with an all flock feed. It increases the calcium level for my high production hens who’s shell quality suffers if I don’t. It also gives a higher protein for my Turkeys compared to just layer feed. I only give scratch about 3 times a week as a treat. I do not think it will cut back on feed. Once the crop is full on the bird it’s full. The only difference will be is the nutritional value they get from the food in the crop.

It would definitely be better to cut out the scratch. If you read the label on the feed it will say something to the effect that it is a 'complete feed and no supplement is necessary.'
Scratch should be a minor supplement to encourage their natural scratching habit and not mixed with feed.

I doubt know if they would consume less, but it would improve their diet in general. Scratch is a treat, and by cutting your feed with it, it's diminishing their nutrients.

With a mixed flock, have you considered using "all flock" feed?
Yes I have considered it and I will probably switch to that. Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom