What's going on here : Hen's back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KristyAz, Jun 21, 2011.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    This JG has sort of had this since we got her a few months ago. I originally thought that it was rooster damage from her original home and that it would grow back in since at the time we didn't have a rooster who was mating yet. But it never has come back. Is this something else? She is the only one of my hens with this on her back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    He does look ragged. I'm wondering if he has depluming mite? His feathers look a little ragged which can come from over-preening or can come from mites eating the feathers. It might be a good idea to give him a dusting-over. I use rotenone (Pestene), which is a natural product, though it's rather toxic. Sulphur dusting powder may work, or you could do what others do and try a permethrin-based insecticide or neem oil.

He may also have been getting pecked by other birds, particularly if he's younger than the hens. I'm sure you know this, but just in case not, bare patches will only regrow feathers when the bird moults into a new set.

best wishes,
    Erica

3. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Quote:No, Actually I didn't know this. (BTW, this is a hen and she is towards the top of the pecking order, so I'm sure no one is pecking her) But, what you said about moulting, that makes sense.

On the mites, would I be able to see them? Because I checked her over and didn't find anything.

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    those look like new feathers growing in

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have seen that before, and I did have one hen that was going around, pulling the feathers out of my entire flock of chickens, in that EXACT same spot. I got rid of her, and everybody's feathers grew back. You might think that nobody is pecking her, but if you have the time to just sit quietly and observe, that's usually when you will see the feather pecking bully.......(I'm a detective haha)

One thing a friend taught me, was that, if the entire feather, quill and all is out, the feathers will grow back, but if the quill of the feather is still in, then it won't grow back until the next molt. I think I see new feathers coming back.

Since you mentioned you don't see any parasites, then I'm thinking it was from the mating before you had her, or a hen may have noticed that spot and is pecking it. (Chickens seem to be drawn to bald spots....) What I like to do is put some Blue Cote spray on there, and chickens don't seem to find that bright blue color appealing, so they stop pecking. It really helps.

You could also put a hen saddle on her, to cover and protect that bald spot until the new feathers grow in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by