1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHAT'S GOING ON WITH MY BROODIES!!!!(with pics)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenCharmer, May 9, 2009.

1. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it ever possible for minorcas and leghorns to go broody? If you say no, you're wrong! I have a buff minorca AND a white leghorn-both are broody.
    Here's Minorca the buff minorca, she's been setting for about two weeks now, and for the second time.
    [​IMG]
    And this is Joyce the white leghorn, who is only 7 months old, still a pullet. She's only been setting for a few days, actually, almost never leaving the nest, and clucking up a storm!
    [​IMG]
    I've heard it said that these super-layers apparently never brood, so is there something with mine? Or is it just a coincidence? [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Nothing wrong with yours. It isn't really "never," it's "rare."

Leghorns are also generally very flighty, do not like to be touched or held, etc. But a few on here have wonderful leghorns as cuddly pets.

Lucky you!

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Your so lucky to have a broody leghorn! I want one really bad!

4. wildwitchy

wildwitchy Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    hmm, my leghorns go potty if i try to pick them up! [​IMG] You are very lucky to have a broody one. She looks lovely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by