What's happening?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenslave2, Sep 20, 2016.

1. chickenslave2

chickenslave2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    At my school, we have a small flock of chickens and the last batch of eggs incubated have all but grown up. One of the hens in that batch isn't eating and can't really bring enough strength to stand up properly. one moment it will be standing and walking almost fine, the it would fall over and get back up again and be fine.

She is losing weight, so I'm guessing she's got an infection inside her or something, but she flicks her tail like she's in no distress. Some people in other classes are treating her for mites, but I looked at her skin and it appears there's nothing there.

They've been keeping her isolated, along with a bunch of roosters and one or two other hens from the same batch of eggs. I'm not saying they're doing anything wrong, but I'm worried that the roosters will annoy her and over mate with her.

Is she egg bound or has a gut infection? And is it bad keeping roosters with her?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

too many roosters with a hen does lead to over mating which is very stressful for the hen.
    you said that you checked her skin for mites, did you check around her vent? that's where you are more likely to see any lice/mites. is she drinking water?

3. chickenslave2

chickenslave2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    I didn't check around her vent, and I wasn't with her long enough to see if she was drinking water.

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

check her vent, and try to see what her poop looks like

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by