Whats in my coop?

I use Purina Flock Raiser, which is fresh at my local stores. Always check the mill date on each bag, and buy what you can use up within six or eight weeks of milling.
You may find something else that's a better choice where you shop, so spend some time checking out your options.
Mary
I’m pretty sure our local TSC carries that. And, I will check the date. Thanks for the tips !!

Last edited:
Just wondering, is it really hot where you are right now? That slows down my girls' egg production. Did you sprinkle the baby powder? Flour or cornstarch is cheaper and may be better for the hens. What kind of fencing do you have on your coop? Are the holes big enough for rats or snakes to get in? I'm inclined, like you to think egg production would slow, but not stop completely.
Last week was scorching here. And , I do believe that snakes or rats could get through the wire. I haven’t spread the paper powder yet because now it’s been raining non-stop. But, I will definitely use flour instead...much cheaper and yes, surely better for the girls not to be breathing in some Johnson and Johnson

We had one little egg this AM from our EE. Peculiar, it was less than half the usual size. A little bigger than a grape no broken ones and none of the other five had eggs.

We had one little egg this AM from our EE. Peculiar, it was less than half the usual size. A little bigger than a grape no broken ones and none of the other five had eggs.
Well that's interesting. Sure adds to the mystery. Perhaps, it was the heat, and the EE is "starting up" sort of like a new layer? Let us know if you start the oyster shell and it helps.

Well that's interesting. Sure adds to the mystery. Perhaps, it was the heat, and the EE is "starting up" sort of like a new layer? Let us know if you start the oyster shell and it helps.
Hopefully the heat is what it was. I would hate to think the girls have a predator invading their home. I’m getting all new feed and oyster shells today so....fingers crossed .

Okie dokie. I’ve bought the flock raiser and a new bag of oyster shells. Hopefully this will deter the hungry hens from snacking on their eggs. ( if they, themselves are indeed the culprit)

It might help to talk to the girls about crock pot dining, too. One of mine is laying a thin shelled egg, that is being broken and eaten out there. Who?
Good luck with yours.
Mary
Thanks for all your advice Mary. I was fortunate enough to grab the last bag of Purina flock raiser at TSC. I am going to put some in with the girls as soon as I get home. Hopefully they will like it because they are picky little things except of course when it comes to cannibalism.

Back
Top Bottom