What's in the moat?

Basking shark

Think he can swallow you up?
After the Whale shark, the Basking shark is the largest fish on the planet. It can be found in practically every ocean but like all the other species of shark it faces extinction due to excessive fishing.

This particular shark resembles a great white to the point when it opens his huge mouth. Then it is just a bit freaky, like a bone-tube sucking in everything in its path. This harmless, slow-moving big boy feeds on small fish, invertebrates, zooplankton from 2,000 tons of water per hour. He likes to eat this one.

prehistric huh? this is a Frilled Shark
More scary-looking than ugly, the Frilled shark is often called a living fossil, because it has changed very little since pre-historic times. It doesn’t resemble its fellow sharks very much, looks more like a blue-grey eel, except for the six gill slots that give it away.

The Frilled shark is rarely seen in shallow waters, although it was sighted in all of the world’s oceans, it likes to swim at depths between 50m-1,500m. Because of this very little is known about the Frilled shark, and the few sightings are attributed to the fish being sick and disoriented.

Very small in size and harmless to humans, the fangtooth is unapproachable due to his looks. It’s a good thing people can’t run into them very often while swimming, because they live at depths between 200m-2,000m, the Fangtooth is considered one of the deepest-living fish, at depths of up to 5,000m.

The Fangtooth’s front teeth are so large and spiky that they have evolved two sockets on either side of the brain to accommodate them while their mouth is closed. They are one of the most robust species of fish on the planet, able to live in fish-tanks where the conditions are very different from their natural environment.

Oreo-dory

He don't look like no oreo
Despite its hideous looks you should know that members of the dory fish-family are valued as delicacies in restaurants around the world. I can’t imagine how anyone could eat anything that looks like this but then again, I’ve never tried it.

The Oreo-dory is a small fish that lives at depths of 600m-1,000m, with extremely large eyes, deep and vertically compressed body and a large head. Actually it just looks like swimming creepy fish-head.

BOGFISH he looks really sad, hey you got sonething hanging from your mouth there.
Our choice for the ugliest sea-creature was an easy one, you really can’t come across anything more disgusting than a floating piece of slime. That’s what the Blobfish is all about, slime.

This gelatinous mass inhabits the deep coastal waters of Australia and Tasmania and because it mainly floats just above the bottom all the time it’s rarely seen by humans. It has no muscle mass so it can’t hunt for food, it just eats whatever edible stuff finds its way to it.

4c236494cd7c6.jpg

Angler fish, Melanocetus johnsoni
Angler fish (pictured above) in all their varied forms have to find a place in this list somewhere. When the majority of your kind look like an experiment with hybridising porcupines, man traps and deflated footballs then you're seldom going to win any prizes in a beauty contest. Now there are some more attractive species out there, and it can hardly help when the poor things are usually seen post mortem after being dragged out of the abyssal zone, (most of us would not look at our best if the reverse happened to us), but never the less the majority of these fish are the stuff of nightmares.

4c2363f7d8517.jpg

Giant grenadier, Albatrossia pectoralis
Another one best left in darkness, two miles down.

4c2363f35bc42.jpg

Goblin shark, Mitsukurina owstoni
What comes to mind when you think of sharks - sleek, streamlined predators cutting through the sea like a knife? Well I suppose the Goblin shark can't be blamed that evolution had a different plan for it.

4bfb9721e995c.jpg

very odd

Parrot cichlid
All the above fish are at least as nature intended, unlike the poor blighter which is my final choice. Parrot fish are a hybrid of uncertain origin - bloated and deformed, usually unable to shut their own mouth. Just to really put the icing on the cake they are often sold dyed or even tattooed! They really show however ugly to our eyes nature makes things - we can make them worse.

Just thought since showing odd things here I would show some to the shark is really odd his nose and mouth are to different things ODD huh?

Rhayden

Hope you all can she it

I thought JD wanted that job. If I were the royal troll catcher, I would just ignore them all, or abandon ship for a new thread.

Back
Top Bottom