What's in these eggs?

ltstm

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
My hens are Rhode Island Reds and I don't have a rooster. Their eggs have some kind of red spot in them that almost looks like a spot of blood. It is variable sizes from one egg to the next and the larger ones look like it could be a blood clot or something like that. Is this normal and what is it?

well some hens lay eggs with them and i have been told taht when they are fertile the eggs they lay will not be good because of the blood spot...i have a hen that lay's one and i have some in the incubator so i guess i will have to wait and see what happens

I don't have a rooster so the eggs cant be fertile...I have never seen this in commercial eggs and was wondering what it was and why its our eggs and not commercial ones. Thanks

Sorry, I cant find one that has the spots at the moment. I will try to post one when I do.

Blood spots or meat spots (called both) are nothing to worry about. They are perfectly normal and harmless. You don't see them in commercial eggs because they use a high powered light to detect them and then send the eggs that have them to the makers of baked goods, donuts, poptarts, etc. It will not hurt anything for you to use the eggs and you will not be able to taste or feel them in your meal. If you want, you can take the spots out with a fork or the tip of a knife but it is not necessary. The spots occur during the production of the egg inside the hen's body and are 100% natural. You see them more often in young hens than older ones and all hens have them from time to time. It's part of having farm raised eggs. Just eat and enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks! We have been eating them but recently a guest of our asked what it was and suggested that there must be something wrong with our chickens/eggs. I didn't know what it was but felt pretty sure it was something natural and that my hens were healthy. I knew this was the place to find out. Thanks again.

Interesting. I haven't seen that with any of our hens yet, but have seen it multiple times in store bought eggs. I always thought that those eggs with a blood spot were the beginnings of a chick and it super icked me out. I now realize that that thought is rather silly, as standard store bought eggs are not going to be from a fertilized hen meaning no chick. lol. learn something new every day and I'm glad to know it. :)

...a guest of our asked what it was and suggested that there must be something wrong with our chickens/eggs.
Don't you just love it when people who have never had chickens or fresh eggs know what problems you have with yours? Tell them it is a rare virus that is highly contagious to people and warn them to stay far, far away.

Back
Top Bottom