1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's in this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickylicious, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Chickylicious

Chickylicious New Egg

May 23, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I am aware of "meatspots" from laying hens on occasion however this kind of looks like a real meat spot if you know what I mean. I had cracked two eggs into my mixing bowl to make fresh madeleines. I saw a yoke with a white cloud and a worm looking thing attached. I took the worm looking part out with a spoon which seemed to be attached pretty good. Now I knowingly do not have any roosters with the hens in that coop. I have 9 egg layers and had 23 cornish cross with them which were supposed to be all hens as well. So...what was in this egg?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    Yep, it's a meat spot! Just one of the chunkier ones! Nothing unusual and nothing to be worried about. They are kind of gross though!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    If you are talking about the white thing attached to the yoke in the first picture, it is the chalzae (Sp?) and is a normal part of the egg. It is really noticeable in a fresh egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by