What's my roo doing?

fhdogs

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Southern Vermont
I just finished mowing the lawn, checked for eggs, came inside and sat down to catch up on BYC and I noticed this on my coop cam:
26632_picture_51.png

Apparently my roo thinks he's got to lay. I've never seen him inside the nest boxes before so it caught me off guard. I really hope when I go back outside in a few minutes I don't find an egg. That would be really confusing.

He's probably talking to the hens at the same time. He's telling them that nestbox is great and they should consider laying their eggs there. Just offering them his encouragement.
Great pic!

Quote:
If I only had turkeys in my coop
wink.png
but then I'd be peeping on a Tom.

I'd really like to make my cam available to the public to view, but I'm so remote, the best internet we can get is by satellite. Unfortunately they have bandwidth limits that the cam would go over. I must say, a good quality wifi camera was the best investment I ever made. I've used mine for home security (old landlord used to snoop), vehicle security (car got keyed several times), filing complaints against a bar I used to live near (screaming drunks peeing on our property), watching baby chicks, new dogs, and now the coop.

BTW I figured out what he was doing. I had just added some fresh wood shavings to the nest box. Shortly after I posted this he got out of the box, and one of the hens got in. I'm pretty sure he was inspecting, and making things comfy for her to go lay.

Last edited:
Quote:
If I only had turkeys in my coop
wink.png
but then I'd be peeping on a Tom.

I'd really like to make my cam available to the public to view, but I'm so remote, the best internet we can get is by satellite. Unfortunately they have bandwidth limits that the cam would go over. I must say, a good quality wifi camera was the best investment I ever made. I've used mine for home security (old landlord used to snoop), vehicle security (car got keyed several times), filing complaints against a bar I used to live near (screaming drunks peeing on our property), watching baby chicks, new dogs, and now the coop.

BTW I figured out what he was doing. I had just added some fresh wood shavings to the nest box. Shortly after I posted this he got out of the box, and one of the hens got in. I'm pretty sure he was inspecting, and making things comfy for her to go lay.

Unless the roo's name is Tom.
lol.png
What a thoughtful guy. Mine will bring food to my hens.
I have been thinking about baby monitor for our coop. Does the cam get a lot dust on the lens?

Sandee

Does the cam get a lot dust on the lens?

The coop (and cam) have only been "operating" for a little over a month. So far it's not very dusty in there, but occasionally I either blow on the lens to clear off the dust, or give a gentle wipe with my sleeve. Like most "webcams" the lens is very small.

I am a little concerned because my cam has built in pan/tilt, that the dust will damage the motors. To be honest though, it's paid for itself many times, mostly out of the enjoyment of having it and getting to watch my animals from inside the house.​

After I clean out my coop and nest boxes, my roo will often come in, start "nesting" around in a fresh box, making all kinds of chucking, what I call "yummy noises" ("Hey, girls, come quick and see the great stuff I found for you!"). One will usually come in to investigate, and once or twice I've seen one squeeze under him in the nest and they'll snuggle for a while before he gets out to let her do her henny thing!

If you are concerned about dust damaging the motors I am wondering if you could effectively secure a plastic bag over it without losing picture quality. Would that work?

Nice coop, by the way.

Jenny

Awww! I watched my Roo make two nests today for one of the hens. He sat down, got it all round, and pulled grass up to make it a cute nest. Then he called her over, and she sat in it, didn't approve, and hopped up. So poor Roo then went in the coop, and tried making a nest out of the feathers that are everywhere. Again he called her to it. It was behind the feed barrel. She sat, looked around a bit, and got back up. Roo then left her for the rest of the flock. What a gentleman though!

Back
Top Bottom