What's on these yolks?

Those look like the hen has a repro infection those eggs should be tossed and the hen(s) that laid them need to be checked to see what they have and then either treated or culled. casportpony or eggcessive might help but that is what happened to one of mine. ----the white looking area could be an air bubble but the yolks looked off color to me

Last edited:
Is there a way to determine which duck is laying the bad eggs with out seperating her? ( I don't really have another place to put them). Some of our yolks have been green lately. I had read that it could be from eating acorns????

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems , if you have different breeds you could at least pin it down to the one breed and then just keep an eye on your ducks(I said hen because I thought female ducks were also called hens) then you can determine which one it is from checking those girls eggs. if you have all the same breed or multiple breeds laying the same color eggs i don't know what to tell you then.

They could be called hens, not sure. Our newest ducks just started laying this week. So I know it's one of the 2 ancona's. (these eggs were from 2-3 weeks ago). Thanks for your help. I'll check out that link.

Is there a way to determine which duck is laying the bad eggs with out seperating her? ( I don't really have another place to put them). Some of our yolks have been green lately. I had read that it could be from eating acorns????
i don't know about acorns. But i do know that cottonseed meal can cause greenish yolks.

CSM is used frequently in premade animal feeds.

i don't know about acorns. But i do know that cottonseed meal can cause greenish yolks.

CSM is used frequently in premade animal feeds.
Acorns will definitely do it (we have to deal with it in our ducks every other year) - usually in the fall though.

I'd be more concerned about the white bubbles, unclear whites, etc - I'd guess some sort of infection.

Back
Top Bottom