What's on your floor?

tralfaz

Songster
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
On the coop floor that is.
I have a raised coop with a plywood floor laid over with rolled linoleum. At the moment, the floor and nesting boxes are using medium pine bedding from TSC. Though I've seen many using sand, hay and wood chips on the floor. I was planning to use wood chips and hay in the run for deep litter and build a sand/ash bath for the hen's enjoyment outside under the coop. And keep to pine bedding inside for the floors. Does this sound right?

On the coop floor that is.
I have a raised coop with a plywood floor laid over with rolled linoleum. At the moment, the floor and nesting boxes are using medium pine bedding from TSC. Though I've seen many using sand, hay and wood chips on the floor. I was planning to use wood chips and hay in the run for deep litter and build a sand/ash bath for the hen's enjoyment outside under the coop. And keep to pine bedding inside for the floors. Does this sound right?
Is your run covered? Hay in an open run where it will get rained on is likely to become a packed down, matted, moldy mess.
I would use wood chips in the run, pine shavings or hemp in the coop on the floor. I prefer hemp as it has very little dust. IMO sand is too dusty to use. Others like it. I don't.
I've used pine shavings in the nest boxes but switched to chopped straw.
Do you use poop boards? Is your elevated coop walk-in style?

Is your run covered? Hay in an open run where it will get rained on is likely to become a packed down, matted, moldy mess.
I would use wood chips in the run, pine shavings or hemp in the coop on the floor. I prefer hemp as it has very little dust. IMO sand is too dusty to use. Others like it. I don't.
I've used pine shavings in the nest boxes but switched to chopped straw.
Do you use poop boards? Is your elevated coop walk-in style?
can you explain what is "walk-in" style?

Thanks Criticalicious and Dobielover
It's only 4 feet tall on the tall end and 3 on the low side, so not walk-in
my run is not covered, just dirt and rocks
My coop is designed to accommodate poop boards, but I'm trying out a few options to see which works best for us. This is the first full week for the hens in their new home, so still observing and smelling to see want works and doesn't

2CAA8E144B7C_1586742748085.png

2CAA8E144B7C_1587056422546.png

DLM and poop boards are not meant to be used together.

Seems my coop is designed for DLM. Its not a walk in and 4' at the peak. The largest section has a 2x2 supporting the upper portion and my girls (5 for now) use it as a perch. It seems to fit all the girls and its the first 2 ft of coop to clean. The opposite side of the coop has 2- 4ft fold down doors that make cleaning a breeze. We call it Cluckingham Palace.

Attachments

• 1800-chicken-coop-2(1).jpg
    1800-chicken-coop-2(1).jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 13
my girls do not like to roost in the coop. they stay out in the enclosed run and perch on a bar. the coop is inside the run but they only go inside to lay. even in the winter they sleep outside in the enclosed 6x12 run.

Attachments

• coop.jpg
    coop.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom