Whats show quality????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joe17, Nov 26, 2009.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I raise silkies; I have no idea what quality they are. What does a "perfect" silkie look like?

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I don't have any pics for you,but no bird is perfect they are either very close to the standard or not ,breeders try to get them up to the standard thats every breeders goal. I would suggest asking the silkie experts on the BYC for pics. But wait they might as well post on here. I would suggest buying the ABA or APA Standard of Perfection

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  3. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I guess perfect silkies would look........... perfect? I know, I'm not very helpful........ [​IMG]

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    To anyone interested in breeding quality birds I give the same advice. Learn the breed before you buy. Go to some shows & see what the winning birds look like. Talk to some breeders at the shows. Most will talk about their breed all day & love to help newcomers get started. Buy or borrow a Standard of Perfection & study it. The black & white version is only $12 & it will save the expense of replacing those "SQ' birds you bought from someone who was either dishonest or didn't know any more than you did.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Amen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by