whats so good about Buckeyes?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faykokoWV, Sep 15, 2009.

1. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I seem to notice a lot of people interested in Buckeyes? What makes them so great?

2. Agricola

Agricola Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    South Jersey
    I don’t have any buckeyes yet, but I am considering getting some in the Spring. From what I have read, they are good dual purpose chickens (I think the roosters will get up to around 9 or 10 lbs, and the hens will lay around 200 eggs per year). They are friendly with people, and the hens are good mothers. They are hardy and forage well and will even catch mice.

They are also very rare so some people (including me) like the idea of preserving a heritage breed.

3. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    Quote:That and they are suposed to be very cold hardy and the only breed to be developed by a woman in the US.

4. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    so, would you think about getting Buckeye's from a hatchery?

5. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    we got a passel of them this spring and they are pips! wow! they are the best free rangers we've ever had and are full of spunk and personality. i hope hope hope they are good layers.

the bene's are supposed to be:
    * good dual purpose
    * good free rangers (check!)
    * winter hardy

hope it works out - they are just the dickens.

6. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Quote:I think there are some good breeders here on the forum to get eggs/birds from. We have ordered from a hatchery, and they are very obviously outcrossed with something else (I suspect Wellsummer in our case).

Buckeyedave

Pathfinders farm--they're on the forum I just can't remember their alias.

Ours do 'roar' that's another interesting Buckeye characteristic. It's like having your own little T-Rex in the barnyard. They seem to be very barnyard savy birds. Excellent foragers, but careful to stay out of harms way.

7. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I thought you meant these:
    [​IMG]
    The have no purpose but my boys have collected 943 this year.

8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    AND they are heirloom chickens. Whereby they're very disease resistant.
    One day....I hope to have some.

9. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I went ahead and put them on my "i want that" list at Ideal. I know everyone seems to hate ordering from a hatchery, but I think its the most economical option for me as I don't have an incubator.

edited to add

anyone know where I can listen to some audio of that roar?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  10. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:[​IMG]

We got hatchery Buckeye's this year and will definitely get breeder quality in the future! We started with a few hatchery stock breeds as a "tester" since we'd like to keep a couple rare breeds in the future. The Buckeyes are very friendly, the roos are not overly aggressive like some breeds and great dual-purpose birds (our excess roos were good sized and tasty birds!). I haven't heard the roaring yet, but that may because we have hatchery stock and not quality Buckeyes or because they're only 6.5 months old. They are heat and cold hardy, which is a bonus as well! The Buckeye's are definitely a breed we intend to keep!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by