What's that chicken breed?

akmart54

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 2, 2013
Texas
Hi, everyone. I found this site for the first time and joined but now don't know how to navigate or ask questions. I did a Google search for chickens and the first link was a posting called Florida Flock Ready For Show from this website. The first picture looked just like a chicken I have and don't know the breed. The poster didn't indicate the breed. I couldn't find a place to ask questions so I joined the forum but still don't know how all this works.

I got my first chicks last Easter. I brought 4 different breeds home and had a great time raising them in a big Rubbermaid container in the garage. I had a Brahma, what I thought was a Golden Lakenvelder, an Americana, and a New Hamshire Red. I'm not sure of the spelling of all these. Well the Golden Lakenvelder doesn't look like the pictures online so I don't think she is one. The Red and Americana started laying in Sept. but the Brahma and Golden (?) didn't begin. Then the Brahma died. I think the heat here in Texas was too much. She was really a sweet girl too. I was very sad. All the others have done well but Golden never began laying. When it turned chilly the laying stopped, but now that warmer weather has already begun, laying has resumed just this week. Golden just laid her first egg today. It was brown. I am very excited to have all three laying now. But I still don't really know what breed Golden is. So I would like to ask the poster I mentioned above what kind is in his picture.

I am really hooked on backyard chicken raising. I live in town so didn't want too many birds. After raising the four, I thought they would be enough to keep us in eggs each week. Since I lost one and one wasn't laying I was only getting around 3 to 5 eggs a week. I have decided to add three more to my flock this year. I have ordered three more different breeds that are reported to be quiet, docile and good layers. I enjoy spending time with the girls. They are very tame and follow me around the yard hoping for a treat.

If anyone can help with this breed question I would appreciate it. I can post a picture if I can learn how. Thanks

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
I don't personally have much chicken experience so I can't help you there but here's a link on how to insert pics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/inserting-pics-in-on-the-new-byc

Greetings from Kansas, akmart54, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined our flock! I agree with sumi - post those pics over on the thread she suggested and someone will be able to ID them for you. Best of luck in your chicken adventure!

Welcome to BYC. Check out the learning center at the top of the page. Also click on 'forums' at the top of the page and then click on the sections that interest you. (Eventually that will be all of them.) If an old man like me could could learn his way around here, so can you.

Back
Top Bottom