whats the best age for trying to figure out hens or roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by julescar74, Apr 2, 2012.

1. julescar74

julescar74 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    Aiken, SC
    I have 9 new babies and wonder how old they usually are when I should be able to tell or at least get a better idea of whats a hen and whats a roo. The last batch of 9 were 8 roosters and 1 hen The poor girl was so picked on by the boys which are now gone. I hope I have better luck this time and wondered if there's anything that will help me figure out as early as possible what the sexes are. I posted their pics on my last thread and one person said the first one is a boy I don't know how to tell. Pretty please any info would be helpful.

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    6 weeks min. although 8 weeks would be better but it also depends on what breeds you have as well

3. Tbird84

Tbird84 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Corapeake, NC
    I usually know positively by 4wks, provided they aren't rosecomb or peacombed breeds. Or crested for that matter. But I personally have gotten pretty good at telling by 2wks usually. I tend to go by behavior(attitude), leg/foot size, and feathering(to a lesser degree). The males are usually louder, more boisterous and adventerous, will puff up to anyone in their brooder, and will sometimes stand tall and make trilling sounds. Their combs will be bigger and more defined early on on. Not to mention those thick legs. As far as feathering, not always acurate. But typically, the pullets will be feathered in before the cockerals will be. At 4-6wks, your pullets will be completely feathered. Cockerals will still have patches of pin feathers on the back and chest and sometimes the neck. Good luck!

4. Sunflowergirl

Sunflowergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Quitman, Texas
    I am new to chickens and I have three 1-week olds. Does the feathering apply to their little wings and tails coming in or to their body feathers? Are their little wing and tail feathers at 1 week going to be the color they are as adults?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by