Whats the best age to eat a peacock at and how much meat will I get?

ChickenKeep01

Songster
5 Years
Jul 2, 2016
Australia
My peahen is currently sitting on 5 eggs and we already have 2 hens (One hasn't reached sexual maturity yet so she won't be laying this year) and one peacock. We don't have the resources to manage many more than this so on top of selling the peafowl that are hatched this year we plan to eat one of the males, simply because well, its a peacock and we are all very curious to know what peacock taste like.

Before we do this I'm wondering if anyone can provide information on what age to kill it, what's the best method to kill for the peacock (I'm thinking it would be simple decapitation given how thing their necks are) and how much meat can we expect to get off a single peacock. We want to invite some family around to also try it but we don't know if there will be enough meat on it.

TIA!

My peahen is currently sitting on 5 eggs and we already have 2 hens (One hasn't reached sexual maturity yet so she won't be laying this year) and one peacock. We don't have the resources to manage many more than this so on top of selling the peafowl that are hatched this year we plan to eat one of the males, simply because well, its a peacock and we are all very curious to know what peacock taste like.

Before we do this I'm wondering if anyone can provide information on what age to kill it, what's the best method to kill for the peacock (I'm thinking it would be simple decapitation given how thing their necks are) and how much meat can we expect to get off a single peacock. We want to invite some family around to also try it but we don't know if there will be enough meat on it.

TIA!
I have never heard of anyone eating a peacock before. I think it’ll taste somewhat like quail. Best method to kill it would probably be what you suggested. Since I never ate one, I’m not too sure how much meat you’ll get, but I would guess about the same as a chicken, slightly more perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom