What's the best Automatic chicken door I can get?

spacecowgirl

Songster
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
I also want it to be safe, and predator proof. Christmas is coming up, so I think I can get a good one. ( If everyone goes in on it, fingers crossed
smile.png

What would you recommend? This will not only benefit me, but my neighbors who have to frequently check on my chicks when I'm gone:)

Sorry - I don't know the different models out there. We made our own using a drapery motor and digital timer, and just used the door that was already in our coop. Put it in Dec. 09 and it's worked like a champ since. But lots of folks use the premade units, so I'm sure they'll chime in soon
smile.png

I use the ones I made myself with the motor as well, but I have heard good things about the one from Foy as well as the pullet-shut doors. Hopefully someone with one of the fancy ones can help. I think it's great you'll get an auto door for Xmas!
smile.png

I have the one from Fleming Outdoors & it's wonderful. It has no wood parts to rot or anything to rust & it comes with all the needed parts. I have the electric one, but they also have a solar one for more money. I think you can convert the electric one later to solar if you want.

I have three auto doors, two are the Electronic Doorkeeper from Foy's, using 4AA batteries, and on is another kind from another company, requiring electric power and a timer. (Foy's door uses a light sensor, which I love!)

I prefer the Foy's, hands down.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out Foy's and Fleming Outdoors...now I just have to decide; electric or solar powered???

Quote:
I have the original batteries I put in just over a year ago, and the door is still working. (I should change them, though.)

The door is not heavy, so it doesn't use a whole lot of power twice a day. Up. Down. For about one, maybe two minutes, because the door moves very slowly, about a sixty second cycle, or less.

Last edited:
It's amazing to me that such small batteries last so long. We change them once a year, just to make sure the door doesn't suddenly stop working. We just rotate them into something in the house, so they don't go to waste. My wireless mouse and the remotes all use them, along with a few other things, plus are easy to change.

Back
Top Bottom