whats the best breed of duck as a pet?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ashleyy_x3, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    just wondering. im very interested in buying a few duck eggs and hatching them. just want to know which is the best breed to have as a pet? like the most friendliest and social [​IMG]

2. duckman11032

duckman11032 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    I hear calls are friendly, my rouens are very friendly and there beautiful to watch

thanks

mike

3. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    yeah thats what ive heard so far also. that call ducks are the friendliest. those are what im leaning towards purchasing at the momentt [​IMG]

4. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i think muscovies are the best pets, i had a few that were really tame, not flighty like the other breeds, mine used to roost on top my house at night, a dog came in and killed 3 of them along with a bunch of chickens, that dog ended up in the paper being shot, it wasn't me but they made a big deal about this dog and that they wouldn't rest until they found who did it and that he never ran loose, that was a bunch of bull, what about my poor ducks, especially my big drake sherman he was beautiful, blue and white:(

5. duckman11032

duckman11032 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    mallards also there very friendly they like to play more then other duck breeds I have watched, I dont know maybe its just me but ill sit on my pond and watch them play for hours, if thats something your interested in give it a whirl

mike:cool:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by