Whats the best chickens for eggs?

Of all my different breeds, my Wyandottes have been the best layers. Heck, I have two Wyandotte hens, one SLW and one GLW, and they are seven years old and still laying on a regular basis. And they are gorgeous girls. Meet Lilith and Irene.
^^This is very interesting, I have only read about how much chickens lay, but it does not seem that literature takes into consideration how **long** they lay for! I would think that for many backyard chicken keepers, myself included, older hens will be kept, so length of lay is just as if not more important than rate of lay. Thank you Azygous for this insight.
1f60a.png

Some points I researched over the years I've had chickens is:

Hybrid or production hens lay a lot of large eggs their first year or two and get spent pretty fast and lay lot less eggs afterwards which is why the poultry industry changes them out after their first laying cycle or molt. High production egg layers are also prone to issues like prolapse, egg bound, reproductive issues/cancer and mortality.

The broody type breeds will not lay as many eggs each year but will lay for more years to come and statistically less prone to reproductive issues.

A rule of thumb from research I found that hens will lay 20% less eggs than their prior year. So if a pullet started by laying 300 eggs her first year, she'll lay approx 240 her 2nd yr, approx 190 her 3rd yr, etc. etc. which explains why the egg industry changes out their old layers for new ones every year.

White Leghorns are high production birds and because of it 45% have reproductive issues/cancers before their 4th year. Researchers have used Leghorns for cancer study. If they live past their 4th year they continue laying well into their 6th, 7th, 8th yrs but of course at 20% less each year. Poor Leghorns - they're the poultry industry's guinea pigs. Leghorns have been caged in risk areas to monitor the West Nile virus mosquitoes because the Legs are supposedly immune to the disease when bitten. Legs also seem to be the breed most often used to increase egg production in other engineered breeds.

My conclusion is that the broody breeds seem to do what nature intended and as a reward seem to live a better healthier lifespan dependent of course on genetic line, diet, supplements, environment, etc.

Buff Orpingtons are the friendliest...heck I would say that most any of the Orpingtons are friendly....they are the Golden Retrievers of the poultry world. My Buffs layed large to extra large eggs.

Barred Rocks have become a favorite of mine...there is no doubt. They are a strong well built bird, I enjoy their historical status as a Heritage breed. They lay large to what I would call a jumbo egg. Some can barely fit into an egg carton.

Ameraucanas are a very aggressive breed. They are talkative and can be noisy at times. I would definately try them again, but as a monoculture, not in a mixed flock. They are however very prolific layers, winter weather does seem to get them to slow down more as compared to other breeds. Most of the eggs are a nice medium size, with short runs of larges thrown in occasionally.

The Black Sexlinks are good layers...not a lot of personality though. I do have one girl that is a jealous bird, she goes after any bird that gets to close to me. She is the flock boss and really defends that position in the flock. Prolific layers of large to extra large eggs.

The Welsummer has always been a breed that I want to try. I've had false starts, but they just have an appeal to me. The replacement flock that I'm working on now are all Welsummers. Not laying yet, so I have no opinion as to rate of lay.

The Australorp has been a breed that always comes to the forefront when I'm considering my next replacement flock. I always hear good things about that breed.

I have had EE hens and roos I really like hens mine very unique personality and and pretty much your side kick. Yes noise but not aggressive to me but defend their position no matter where that is in the group no the roos ive had some beautiful guys hatch but dude everyone had rotten attitudes tward me and mostly my little girls even tried holding g them dominating attacked him after he attacked my girls scratched her eyelid.. very close! when they start to crow they change. Id love to keep a few as i let them free range abd because I can deal with them but not with my little o es around.
My girls give me an egg 6days out of a week like clockwork all the others are more spotty and if storms are coming I hardly get any but my EE is like the postal service lol
Eggs are from medium to large with an occasional jumbo.

Last edited:
Didn't intend to ruffle your feathers.

I'm not talking at all about an Ameracauna interacting with people. I wouldn't keep "that kind" of an aggressive bird.

Have you ever kept Ameraucanas in a mixed flock?

I have only ever heard how calm and docile ameraucana and easter eggers are. I have two ameraucana hens and have multiple friends who do as well. Mine are a mixed flock. I also have 4 young pullets

Only hear good things, even on this forum.
Next time i will only get easter eggers or ameraucanas and bff orpingtons.
I had an pure ameraucana roo as well. Extremley friendly.
My ameraucanas and buff orpingtons are my best layers of the largest eggs.
My black sex link is one of the worst layers and smaller eggs. And she is the biggest chicken i have! Lol

My birds were very friendly towards me, though a bit stand-off-ish. They were most comfortable when they stayed at arms length.

As far as mixing with other birds and integrating flocks, my experience with Ameracaunas has been the exact opposite of what some have posted.

It would appear that the breed might be inconsistent in its behavior. :barnie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom