What's the best duck feed?

Johnson5326

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
So, I'm running out of the starter feed and I'm wondering what the best feed is for my ducks. They'll be 4 wks old Thursday and the ppl who work at the TSC here are about clueless on anything but taking money at the register. What do you guys use? My ducks are also a mix of Pekin, Rouen, and maybe a swedish and a mystery crested one.

I fed mine gamebird starter until they were about 4 or 5 weeks old, then switched to gamebird starter mixed half-and-half with poultry flock raiser for a few more weeks, and now that they're adults I just feed them flock raiser. They also get vegetables, weeds, and bugs. I never switched them to layer feed because I have some kind of little voice in my head saying that drakes shouldn't have so much calcium. I know that people feed them layer feed all the time with no problems, but my duck just GOBBLES up oyster shell and my drake leaves it alone, so I think I've got kind of a system going.

Last edited:
Alright. I've been giving them crickets from the bait store, a few minnows, and lots of fresh oranges, grapes, strawberries, and other fruit ct into small pieces. I also walk them to different spots around the yard a few times a day, usually 2 or 3 times for about 30-45 min. each time. They eat all the seeds and bugs they find there. Then every time I clean their pool (usually twice a day) I leave some of the mud for a while and they eat the worms and stuff that come to the surface.

For some reason the last few days when I've walked them to the pond we built (it's 13'x7'x3'deep) they have run in the opposite direction. The fish aren't big enough to bother them and there's nothing there to hurt them. I just want them to eat some of the algae but something has really scared them.

We don't have a great selection around here, but I've found that even out adult birds do great on a 22% gamebird starter as long as they also have access to grass and bugs. I think if they have a variety of feed available (plants, bugs, commercial feed), they're pretty adept at balancing their own diet.

Back
Top Bottom