What's the best feed for these chicken breeds?

cp2894_

Songster
May 17, 2022
Indiana
I've heard that egg layers and meat birds need different levels of calcium but I'm not sure exactly what to feed my flock once they're off starter feed nor do I know exactly if my chicks are considered layers, meat birds, or dual purpose if that makes sense. I want to make sure they're all getting the right amount of vitamins and nutrients. I have 2 buff orpingtons, 2 EE, and a sapphire gem. What do ya'll recommend for a well-balanced healthy feed for their particular breeds?

Yours are not considered meat breeds. The orpington is a dual purpose and the others are crosses between dual purpose breeds and layer breeds.

All the feeds for chickens will have all the vitamins and nutrients (except calcium) your breeds need as adults. The calcium levels are covered above. Chicks benefit from a little higher protein. That level of protein works for adults also. Feeds for meat breed chicks have even higher protein which isn't necessary for your breeds and costs more but won't hurt them.

Last edited:
Yours are not considered meat breeds. The orpington is a dual purpose and the others are crosses between dual purpose breeds and layer breeds.

All the feeds for chickens will have all the vitamins and nutrients (except calcium) your breeds need as adults. The calcium levels are covered above. Chicks benefit from a little higher protein. That level of protein works for adults also. Feeds for meat breed chicks have even higher protein which isn't necessary for breeds and costs more but won't hurt them.
Thank you! That's helpful to know what kind of breeds they are!

Layer breeds can be fed starter feed their whole lives, but birds that are actively laying need more calcium which can be supplied using oyster shells in a separate feeder.
Is there a specific brand you recommend? I've seen some debate on wether organic feed is better or not.

Is there a specific brand you recommend? I've seen some debate on wether organic feed is better or not.
Setting aside the issue of price, an Organic feed from a nutritional standpoint is almost always inferior to a non-organic feed.

There are two reasons for that, the first of which has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that its organic, and everything to do with manufacturers chasing after marketable buzzwords. "Organic" is often found in conjunction with "soy free", "vegan", "whole grain, "no added chemicals" and the like - all of which further restrict what can potentially go in the bag to make up that complete feed, or, in the case of "whole grain" facilitate feeding behaviors which let chickens pick an incoplete diet based almost entirely on their level of dominance in the flock while the all important nutritional suppliment appears as "fines" (dust) at the bottom of the bag.

The second is because the label "protein" on the bag is being used as an indicator of key amino acids levels (more protein, greater choice of meeting the minimums...). In declining order of importance, the four most critical Amino Acids for a chicken are Methionine, Lysine, Threonine, Tryptophan. If the level of any one is inadequate, additional amounts of the others are simply wasted - the chicken can't use them, and thus excreted in the waste. It is remarkably difficult to find a source of methionine in the plant world which is concentrated enough to meet a chicken's needs.

One of the best (common) plant sources is soy meal, but of course "soy free" is frequently found on the bag right next to organic. Better still are many meat sources - fish meal, crab meal, blood meal - but few of those sources are available certified Organic at commercial scale, and there's that not infrequent "vegan" word on some labels.

There are a few relatively high methionine seeds, but they all bring high levels of fat with them - like a multi-vitamin wrapped in a stick of butter.

Now, one can add synthetic methionine, and most do (as do a large number of convential feed bags), but the amount that can be added is relativel small and limited by the regulations setting forth organic standards - there is a pronouced effort to try and remove it entirely, in fact. That trend is most obvious on bags labelled "no added chemicals", meaning they likely left out synthetic Lysine as well.

So no, "organic" isn't inherently better. Its usually worse. But the only way to know for certain is to compare nutritional labels. and to know enough about a chicken's needs that you understand what you are reading.

For a reasonably priced, off the shelf bag found most anywhere, it is hard to do better than Purina's Flock Raiser for an all around chicken feed. I will join @aart in that recommend, though I don't use it myself anymore.

Nutrena's Nature Wise All Flock is nearly as good, if slightly more expensive (usually) - a couple pennies a pound. It carries the "All Natural" label, which most certainly is NOT "Organic".

If you are shopping a TSC, DuMor has two vaguely "All Flock" type feeds, a 17% protein you should avoid, and a 20% protein which is remarkably good at the price point - but check the mill date very closely. There are a number of threads on BYC about bags of DuMor very old (I blame TSC's inventory control and store to store shipping practices) or reduced to powder (ditto).

Setting aside the issue of price, an Organic feed from a nutritional standpoint is almost always inferior to a non-organic feed.

There are two reasons for that, the first of which has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that its organic, and everything to do with manufacturers chasing after marketable buzzwords. "Organic" is often found in conjunction with "soy free", "vegan", "whole grain, "no added chemicals" and the like - all of which further restrict what can potentially go in the bag to make up that complete feed, or, in the case of "whole grain" facilitate feeding behaviors which let chickens pick an incoplete diet based almost entirely on their level of dominance in the flock while the all important nutritional suppliment appears as "fines" (dust) at the bottom of the bag.

The second is because the label "protein" on the bag is being used as an indicator of key amino acids levels (more protein, greater choice of meeting the minimums...). In declining order of importance, the four most critical Amino Acids for a chicken are Methionine, Lysine, Threonine, Tryptophan. If the level of any one is inadequate, additional amounts of the others are simply wasted - the chicken can't use them, and thus excreted in the waste. It is remarkably difficult to find a source of methionine in the plant world which is concentrated enough to meet a chicken's needs.

One of the best (common) plant sources is soy meal, but of course "soy free" is frequently found on the bag right next to organic. Better still are many meat sources - fish meal, crab meal, blood meal - but few of those sources are available certified Organic at commercial scale, and there's that not infrequent "vegan" word on some labels.

There are a few relatively high methionine seeds, but they all bring high levels of fat with them - like a multi-vitamin wrapped in a stick of butter.

Now, one can add synthetic methionine, and most do (as do a large number of convential feed bags), but the amount that can be added is relativel small and limited by the regulations setting forth organic standards - there is a pronouced effort to try and remove it entirely, in fact. That trend is most obvious on bags labelled "no added chemicals", meaning they likely left out synthetic Lysine as well.

So no, "organic" isn't inherently better. Its usually worse. But the only way to know for certain is to compare nutritional labels. and to know enough about a chicken's needs that you understand what you are reading.
Wow that's so interesting! I would've never guesses that organic feed could be worse than regular. Thank you for going into detail and explaining all that!

I've used nothing but Purina Flock Raiser in the 9 years I've had chickens.
Works for them all from hatch to harvest.

Agrees with @U_Stormcrow's "buzzword" synopsis.
I've heard of that one! I think that's probably what I'll use. Right now I have them on Dumor starter feed (non-medicated). When do you recommend I switch them to the Purina? Once they start laying? Once they move outside?

Back
Top Bottom