What's the best feed for these chicken breeds?

Wow that's so interesting! I would've never guesses that organic feed could be worse than regular. Thank you for going into detail and explaining all that!
that's what BYC is for. Happy to be able to give back/pay it forward a little in partial recompense for the assistance I recieved from @aart, @3KillerBs , @NatJ and dozens of others when I was starting out, little more than two years ago.

For a reasonably priced, off the shelf bag found most anywhere, it is hard to do better than Purina's Flock Raiser for an all around chicken feed. I will join @aart in that recommend, though I don't use it myself anymore.

Nutrena's Nature Wise All Flock is nearly as good, if slightly more expensive (usually) - a couple pennies a pound. It carries the "All Natural" label, which most certainly is NOT "Organic".

If you are shopping a TSC, DuMor has two vaguely "All Flock" type feeds, a 17% protein you should avoid, and a 20% protein which is remarkably good at the price point - but check the mill date very closely. There are a number of threads on BYC about bags of DuMor very old (I blame TSC's inventory control and store to store shipping practices) or reduced to powder (ditto).
Thank you for the recommendations! I think I'm leaning towards Purina. Possibly Dumor but I don't want to end up giving them very old food on accident.

I've heard of that one! I think that's probably what I'll use. Right now I have them on Dumor starter feed (non-medicated). When do you recommend I switch them to the Purina? Once they start laying? Once they move outside?
Anytime. During the early days of the pandemic, when everyone was out of stock on everything, many of us used "Starter" or "Starter/grower" instead of All Flock. or All Flock crumbles instead of "Starter". Check the labels, nutritionally, quite similar!

that's what BYC is for. Happy to be able to give back/pay it forward a little in partial recompense for the assistance I recieved from @aart, @3KillerBs , @NatJ and dozens of others when I was starting out, little more than two years ago.
Yes! This site has been a godsend! I've been learning so much and everyone is so kind and helpful!

Anytime. During the early days of the pandemic, when everyone was out of stock on everything, many of us used "Starter" or "Starter/grower" instead of All Flock. or All Flock crumbles instead of "Starter". Check the labels, nutritionally, quite similar!
Would you recommend pellets or crumble?

Here's the DuMor 20% Non Medicated Starter/Grower side by side with the Purina Flock Raiser (All Flock) - so you can see what I'm talking about in terms of comparing labels.

1653507932888.png

Would you recommend pellets or crumble?
If you have chicks, crumble is a necessity. If you don't, it depends on your feeder. Plenty of feeders don't do well with crumble.

Or feed as a wet mash in a plastic rain gutter as I do, and it doesn't matter. ;)

There is no one right way - just the best way for you, in your circumstances and your climate, with your needs and management style.

Back
Top Bottom