What's the best virus protection for dial up? & some techie help

My DH is a database programmer/administrator and he suggests that you uninstall Norton and install AVG, like others have recommended.

When you go to install AVG, he says make sure to uncheck something called "LinkScanner" or "SafeSearch." It's one of the installable optional features, and he says you don't need that part and that it is a piece of... Well, you get the idea.
wink.png

Browse the Web using Firefox and install the AdBlock plugin. That is awesome.

I use Avast anti-virus ever since the last version of AVG got fairly system intensive.

I use Comodo Firewall. I find this better then ZoneAlarm which started getting fairly bloated.

Both of these above programs are free for home use.

Norton Anti-Virus is about the worst piece of anti-virus software I can think of. I think if it wasn't included with PCs, nobody would run it. It used to be good, but not anymore.

My son swears by AVG it has protected our computer for over 2 years. You can also get a trial 30 day free When my daughter got a new computer she put in Nortons. Bam a pono virus hit it My son put in the 30day free trial and it found 4 viruses almost immediately when he ran the scan I think its one of the best and not really expensive. It also updates daily

Thanks so much yall.. I have defragged the computer within the last couple of weeks.

I just tired to go to the AVG website & my computer started acting funny. Guess that what the problem is.

Stupid question, are Avast & AVG the same or two different types of virus protection ???

I really appreicate the help,
Miriam

hit.gif
This stinks!!!! I uninstalled Norton & tired to download AVG & Avast,but it wouldn't download either.It would download a few KB's then it would STOP!!!
he.gif
This isn't good at all.
Guess I'll try to see if I can buy one of those programs at a retail store.
sad.png
Miriam

I have been using Adaware but not thinking it was doing such a great job. For one thing, the same invaders kept appearing with each "cleaning." I took your advice and installed AVG. Thanks for the great thread filled with advice.

Back
Top Bottom