what's the best way to integrate?

sheepchase

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2022
Southeastern Virginia
I have 3 pullets and two cockerels (probably) that are 8 weeks old. At three weeks I started giving them time outside in a prefab coop and increased the time over a week or so until their feathers grew in. I also gradually introduced time outside the starter coop and taught them to go inside their big coop at dusk to be locked in for the night. By week six they were doing everything on their own and foraging pretty well. They have a lot of yard, but we have a 5x30 foot run enclosed to keep them a little safer when we're not home.

I have 6 5 week olds that are currently in the prefab starter coop. They have worked up to staying out all day and come in at night to their cramped brooder. But really it's just to sleep. Both groups can see and hear each other, but no one can get hurt.

How do I introduce the kids over the next few weeks? One of my roosters started pecking immediately the only time I opened it out for everyone. Admittedly, he didn't draw blood.

We'll have to do the same soon again since I ordered 8 more pullets to be able to support the roosters.

Attachments

• PXL_20220810_122220818.jpg
    PXL_20220810_122220818.jpg
    904.6 KB · Views: 5
My idea;;
Separate the roosters, and let the pullets mingle together. Then evaluate. Then when you get the additional pullets,, do same,,(separate the roosters),, or any very aggressive pullets, slip those with the separated roosters.
Pullets will peck other pullets, just the same. Usually not very aggressively, as part of the pecking order ordeal.
Try to have items in your run,, that will provide out of sight areas. Meaning,, blocking the view, not hiding places where a chicken could get cornered.
Old chairs, boxes, crates, and such work well. Makes interesting area of exploring for chickens as well.
Generally, a chicken does not recognize other chickens until that are close up. That translates to,,, "a chicken is not likely to run and attack a chicken that is some distance away."
Chicken sight is good for far distances, such as seeing an overhead predator,, like a hawk. One eye sees well far,, and other eye sees well close up. They can see tiny insects in the ground, and pick & eat them.
Just my thinking. :idunno when chickens are scratching around in the run area, they mainly concentrate on things close below. Not ,,, who can I attack now:barnie

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Places to hide without getting trapped. Multiple food stations and water stations. Let the be chickens be chickens...meaning they will have a peck here and there to work out the pecking order. I have never seen a need to separate males. With grown roosters the roosters actually step in to stop fights. At the age of your chicks the boys are just part of the group.

Looks like a win so far! I spread out some grubs before I opened the door for the little ones. They were mingling before any of them knew it. At some point they realized it, but no one lost more than a feather. They pecked a bit, but no harm. Maybe I was just too worried. We'll do it again tomorrow and see if the big ones teach the little ones to go to the coop at dusk. Thanks for giving me the confidence!

Back
Top Bottom