Whats the best way to pick up my chickens?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kes-cooper, Mar 10, 2009.

1. kes-cooper

kes-cooper New Egg

Mar 10, 2009
    Forfar, Scotland
    [​IMG]
    I have had my chickens for about 5 months. I started to get them to eat from my hand. They are really fine with doing that and are very used to me. To be honest, I'm just a bit tentative when I try to pick them up so they just run away! Now I have kind of settled into the fact I won't get to pick them up! Its sad, I would love all these nice photos with me and my chickens, and especially to do health checks by picking them up. They are really not keen even when I touch them! My own fault. I should have been more confident and picked them up when they were young. Any suggestions?
    Kerry

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Just grab them, try to squeeze around the waist, so thier wings do not flap, just enough to hold them, they calm down quickly, then you can balance on you knee and bribe with treats, eventually they should associate sitting with you with the probability of getting a treat.

3. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    I spend a lot of time with my birds - the younger ones seem more skittish and harder to catch so I sorta trick them and wait until they are distracted eating. You can place your hand over their back and gently push them down - it restrains them without hurting them. I put one hand, with my fingers spread wide, under their breast and my other hand over their back holding their wings down and pick them up.

At first, they really flap their wings and will try to scratch - wear leather gloves and long sleeves to minimize any damage to you. Sometimes you need to snuggle them to your body until they calm down.

Eventually, they will learn you won't hurt them and they won't mind being picked up.

I luvs my birds - even my roos!

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Quote:I use this method and find it works very well.

5. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    Pick them up off the roost when thay are sleeping

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Buy 'em a beer and offer them a ride to their coop.

7. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

No--REALLY!
    squat down (or use a chair) and wait for them to approach you... standing and reaching with our "claw-like" hands we seem a bit too "predator-like" to them.
    Then just use both hands to scoop them up, holding down the wings.

Sit them on your lap or knee, but do not let go yet--
    tuck it under one arm (still on your lap) and use the other hand to pet and preen her...
    after a few days of this being repeated--they get used to the routine and will start to hop-up on their own!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  8. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Mine prefer dinner and a movie [​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

You're getting some good advice and some good-natured humor from folks, too. [​IMG]

You might want to practice holding your chickens at night when they're on their roosts. Pick one up from off the roost; make sure to wrap your hands around the wings so that they can't flap and injure themselves or you. Some people hold their feet or at least hold an arm in such a way that the chicken's feet feel supported.

Perhaps a few members will post pictures of themselves holding a chicken for you to look at.

10. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

Once you pick one up it will get easier. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by