What's the best way to put the NEW chickens with the OLD ones???

Quote:
I assume by rooster in your third sentence, you mean roosts.

It is a try and see. It sounds like you don't free range yours. I'd just open the door and see what happens, so I would initially open it when I could observe. As long as it is not really violent with one chicken, hen or rooster, trying to actively kill another one and no blood is drawn, pretty much let them work it out. You can keep a garden hose handy and spray an overly aggressive one if you wish. It is remarkable how that can get their mind off certain thoughts.

You can expect some pecking. That is normal and how the pecking order is established and enforced. And let them continue roosting where they want to. I do worry more about them together on the roosts than any other time.

Lol. Yes, I meant roosts. My brain goes faster than my fingers.

They aren't 100% free range, but they have a huge run. It's 20'x50'. They have plenty of room. I had to stop letting them free range because they would go in the neighbors yard, fields, and just where ever. Lost one chicken in the field to a varmint once the corn grew up a little. Also, a friend brought his 4 yr daughter over, and unbeknownst to us (I was in the house and my DH was mowing our larger pasture) he took his daughter in the barn without us. The little girl started chasing some hens and our rooster decided she was a threat and attacked her. I felt bad for the little girl, although it was just a little scratch on her rear. I heard screaming and ran out. I put our rooster back in the run, and clipped his wings. I couldn't have him hurting people. I was more angry with my friend than the rooster. The rooster was just doing his job. Anyway, no more free range after that, so we expanded the run.

Now I'm replenishing our hens. I just wish they would all get along. One of my hens got in the run with the smaller ones and pretty much ignored them, unless they got close, then she pulled their feathers. They yelped and ran away.

Maybe I should open the door at night? Or early in the morning and just let them work it out?
Good suggestion with the hose, I will keep it handy.

i saved a layin hen from a dog I have had her in a cage by my coop for a couple days her wing is still hurt but want her to be in the coop so she can run and have space took her in there today my 4 mo roo chased her . she is still hurt but she is a happy hen how do I intro her to him and my others without causin stress to her or my others I have 14 chickens 4 ducks and a goose al together have tried to put other in before but didnt work out they the ones I put in were mean to my flock.and had to get rid of them. she is a good happy hen my chickens or youn chicke and roos none have started to lay and am hopin that since this one does lay maybe she can help or show the others which should be gettin ready to lay .

Hi I was down to 1 chicken so got 5 more,a BLUEBELL,COLUMBINE,COPPER BLACK,SPECKELDY,and a LIGHT SUSSEX, they are 20 weeks my other chicken is about 2 years x battery she is also the smaller one, she was the dominant hen and now she is realy nasty with the new ones, pulling feathers out and bitting, I have her in a pen on her own in the main run so they can see each other , (have had the new ones for a week),I let the new ones out for a few hours then put them away then let the other one out, then after awhile I put them together but she is si nasty to them and they are realy strested.Any ideas woulj be welcome.On a differant note she is so noisy in the mornings she honks and squarks Iso I have to get up and let her out before she wakes other people,I live in the uk and its summer so at the moment its light at 4am, is it normal for hens to make so much noise, she did this befor the other ons came.

Back
Top Bottom