whats the chicken breed?

You have Asian Black cockerels. I don’t believe that they’re a Sex Link, but rather a brown egg hatchery production bird.
So do those hackle colors and look often denote black asian? Cuz my funky cockerels that have the same (though different body feather coloring) have been labeled that here as well. Each time there is a confusion on breed with this neck, I see them get called Black Asians.

So do those hackle colors and look often denote black asian? Cuz my funky cockerels that have the same (though different body feather coloring) have been labeled that here as well. Each time there is a confusion on breed with this neck, I see them get called Black Asians.
When the Asian Blacks first started appearing here they had silver leakage. Your birds and the op’s birds look very similar to Asian Blacks and are commonly mislabeled as Black Sex Links for some reason.

Black Asians are a hybrid cross that doesn't really have well defined features at this point. Anytime I see a predominantly black cockerel with the white/cream colored edge lacing on hackles (and usually wings and saddles too but sometimes the wings come out more reddish) I'm inclined to label it Asian Black as that's the closest thing I can see that those would be. That's the phenotypical presentation of that hybrid.

When the Asian Blacks first started appearing here they had silver leakage. Your birds and the op’s birds look very similar to Asian Blacks and are commonly mislabeled as Black Sex Links for some reason.
I think it's because TSC can't seem to stop mislabeling them in the bins with the BSL pullets. Every time I see one of these it seems to have been bought in a bsl Pullet bin at tsc

I think it's because TSC can't seem to stop mislabeling them in the bins with the BSL pullets. Every time I see one of these it seems to have been bought in a bsl Pullet bin at tsc
Very true. Mine were in the BSL bin. But I think we all mostly agree TSC does not employ appropriately knowledgeable staff or maybe just lazy and careless...as far as their chicks go. Though I have questioned the choice of hatcheries some TSCs use for stock also.

I do love chickens with these hackles. Very striking and visually interesting! LOVE it on these cream colored birds!

Very true. Mine were in the BSL bin. But I think we all mostly agree TSC does not employ appropriately knowledgeable staff or maybe just lazy and careless...as far as their chicks go. Though I have questioned the choice of hatcheries some TSCs use for stock also.

I do love chickens with these hackles. Very striking and visually interesting! LOVE it on these cream colored birds!
Yeah. Honestly I don't blame tractor supply. They hire people to do a job and then one season out of the year ask them to peddle birds to people who at least 50% of the time would buy just about anything cute and fluffy that peeps. These people are not chicken experts and are generally selling birds that came in labeled sometimes incorrectly from hatcheries who don't have the best sop example birds to begin with anyways. A lot of these people have gotten the majority of their knowledge about chickens from taking home the ones they felt sorry for and only own hatchery quality mutts anyways. If you don't believe me try to explain to the employees that they don't have actual Ameraucana in their mislabeled Easter Egger bins.

Yeah. Honestly I don't blame tractor supply. They hire people to do a job and then one season out of the year ask them to peddle birds to people who at least 50% of the time would buy just about anything cute and fluffy that peeps. These people are not chicken experts and are generally selling birds that came in labeled sometimes incorrectly from hatcheries who don't have the best sop example birds to begin with anyways. A lot of these people have gotten the majority of their knowledge about chickens from taking home the ones they felt sorry for and only own hatchery quality mutts anyways. If you don't believe me try to explain to the employees that they don't have actual Ameraucana in their mislabeled Easter Egger bins.
It's just a shame. I go to Family Farm and Home which is the same...chicks for a month out of the year...and have an educated staff. All 3 I have been to in various towns. Only once have I been to a TSC with chick knowledgeable staff. And I have used TSC stores for years. In fact, of all the farm stores I have ever been in, TSC is the only one with consistant issues in this area. Otherwise I LOVE TSC! I wish they would either supply from more reputable hatcheries or employ at least one person with chicken knowledge and experience that can be useful when that time of year comes around.

Back
Top Bottom