What's the deal with scratch grains??

Don't mix the scratch into your feed because as soon as they figure out the scratch is yummier they fling the feed everywhere to pick out the scratch.

We scatter scratch on the ground every afternoon in moderate amounts for all adults. They enjoy foraging for it as a fun activity, and when the scratch is finally all gone it signals to them it's bedtime. They like having full crops before they sleep, and scratch must take longer to digest so it feels more filling.

I won't give it to youngsters because those hard seeds could cause crop problems.
Too much scratch can cause severe (even deadly) problems from fat deposits including potential egg binding / laying issues. Remember, they are birds not mammals so they really weren't made to tolerate fat accumulation.

It's also not a good source of protein so if they eat enough to replace some of their regular feed their total protein consumption will fall and over the long term could lead to feather problems.

Don't mix the scratch into your feed because as soon as they figure out the scratch is yummier they fling the feed everywhere to pick out the scratch.

We scatter scratch on the ground every afternoon in moderate amounts for all adults. They enjoy foraging for it as a fun activity, and when the scratch is finally all gone it signals to them it's bedtime. They like having full crops before they sleep, and scratch must take longer to digest so it feels more filling.

I won't give it to youngsters because those hard seeds could cause crop problems.
Too much scratch can cause severe (even deadly) problems from fat deposits including potential egg binding / laying issues. Remember, they are birds not mammals so they really weren't made to tolerate fat accumulation.

It's also not a good source of protein so if they eat enough to replace some of their regular feed their total protein consumption will fall and over the long term could lead to feather problems.
Mine are weird then. They have gotten treats mixed in the feed and still prefer their feed over anything else

Not sure what you're asking.

Some parents give their kids a lot of candy and cake and say that the kids like them and it does no harm.

Some parents refuse to give any candy and cake, considering sugary treats next to poison.

Some parents try to strike a balance, offering treats in moderation.

I'm in category #3. With both kids and chickens I don't withhold all treats but I moderate them and I use them as rewards for desired behavior.

I did try using scratch to cut the cost of raising some cull cockerels to butchering size but with the current price of scratch I didn't save enough money to be worth the trouble.
Sorry, I guess I meant why is it such a big deal to everyone? Some say it's completely bad and shouldn't be feed at all and others praise it for being good for the birds

Sorry, I guess I meant why is it such a big deal to everyone? Some say it's completely bad and shouldn't be feed at all and others praise it for being good for the birds
Scratch isn’t the only chicken feed that is controversial. You will find mixed reviews on corn vs cracked corn, pellets vs no pellets,
There’s really no agreement on what exactly chickens should be eating. Everyone agrees on bugs & worms, though!

Scratch isn’t the only chicken feed that is controversial. You will find mixed reviews on corn vs cracked corn, pellets vs no pellets,
There’s really no agreement on what exactly chickens should be eating. Everyone agrees on bugs & worms, though!
I made a spot in their yard that stays wet and muddy for them to get a lot of those!

It's good for the chicken's digestive system. Chickens who's digestive system is blocked by an impacted crop may consume scratch grains (I know you weren't talking about your chickens having an impacted crop but if they do, let them consume olive oil.)
How exactly do scratch grains help an impaction? Adding anything solid to an already impacted crop only makes it worse, as the new material has nowhere to go and only fills an already overfilled crop.

Scratch as a treat is just not balanced feed. I wouldn't say that it's candy when most feed is made of the same ingredients. I feed a cup (1 tablespoon per bird) everyday all year to my crew & my egg count is always great. I agree with not adding it to the feed as they will just pick through it & spill the feed.

Scratch as a treat is just not balanced feed. I wouldn't say that it's candy when most feed is made of the same ingredients. I feed a cup (1 tablespoon per bird) everyday all year to my crew & my egg count is always great. I agree with not adding it to the feed as they will just pick through it & spill the feed.
As I've told someone else: Mine are weird then. They have gotten treats mixed in the feed and still prefer their feed over anything else
:)

Scratch is quick carbohydrates and some fat but with little protein. It's more like Dorito chips than candy.

For penned birds, I ignore the 10% rule and usually scatter about 25% whole corn when they get their bowl of formulated ration. The free-ranging birds survive mainly on forage, but are given some whole corn just to keep them oriented to our property so they don't wander off.

People who say it's bad have a higher standard for there birds intake of any food. Cause there striving for healthier and stronger birds. So food management is important to them.

Does this help answer part of your question?

Back
Top Bottom